[3830] CQWW CW V47T(N2NT) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW V47T(N2NT) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 19:37:07 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: V47T
Operator(s): N2NT
Station: V47NT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: St Kitts
Operating Time (hrs): 43
Radios: SO2R

  160:  212    13       33
   80:  669    17       74
   40: 1063    25       87
   20: 1763    34       97
   15: 1645    31      105
   10: 2064    27      106
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

My long story follows for those interested. I am writing details so I can
remember the problems for next time 

I was so happy to be able to return to the old V47KP/V48M/V47NT QTH after 3
years.

In 2010, the place was burglarized and much of the equipment was stolen. After
that, everything else was removed and the place left un kept.

The QTH is so good, I was not ready to give up. So slowly I sent some new
equipment there and kept it in storage with V44KAI. Without Joel’s help,
nothing could possibly happen there.  Back in September, Joe K3NM and I went
down to fix all the antennas. Through the kindness of V47JA, we had a great
place to stay.  That went well, but the persistent line noise was still there.
It’s always been there since I’ve been going, so that was not a show
stopper. However, we had to leave shack completely empty and it requires many
trips to bring all the stuff up. I gave myself 7 days to do all that. I needed
more. This became a real Field Day operation.

First the good news. When I first turned on a radio, the line noise was mostly
gone! I had never heard it so quiet. I was suddenly very motivated.
I wasted the first couple of days in a futile attempt to get the internet and
an alarm system working. I was told all I needed was a SIM card for these
boxes, and it would be easy. NOT. I wasted many hours on that project. No
internet on the hill, no alarm. Oh well.

The shack was filthy and required cleaning and a paint job. I spent a day doing
that, but that was well worth it. The shack now looks and smells livable. Since
there is little security there, I was afraid to leave any equipment until
Wednesday when I stayed there for good. Joel and I tested the amps before at
his QTH, so they were both OK before bringing it up the hill.

On Tuesday, I checked all the antennas and put up a new 160 T vertical. That
seemed to go smoothly, and initial tests seemed promising. Kept adding radials
and watched the feedpoint impedance decrease. This was a good sign, everything
was going to plan. Then I walked the beverages. This was not fun. You have to
walk through dense woods with a machete. The EU bev is down a very steep hill.
I fell more than once. Then I tested it, and something was wrong. So I replaced
the feedline and the feedpoint transformer. No change. I figured I would check
again when I had time. When I got back I looked like hell, but at least the
shower hose worked. There is no running water there, just a collection barrel
and a pump.

Even the electric wiring was stolen. I had to run some electric strips and main
breakers just to start.  Also a run for the generator was required. I quickly
got behind schedule.  I had to make about 4 trips to transfer the equipment
from Joel’s house to the hill. By Thursday morning I had both radios and amps
connected. They were working, or at least I thought they were. I went into town
to pick up some groceries, and fetch V44KBP who wanted to get on the air and
use the station. It was his birthday, and he had a blast running stateside, and
Asia on 10M. Then V44KAI sat down to run JA’s on CW. It seemed everything was
going to work.

So then came Friday. I woke up ready to fix the beverage, until I hooked up the
computer. That’s when all the fun began. My 1000MP would not talk to the
laptop. After many hours of trying, and 4 different USB com ports I had to give
up. Turns out the Prolific USB serial converter just doesn’t work right. It
did the same thing with my K3. However, after calling N6TV  for support; I
realized there was one way communication. I could send the frequency from the
laptop, but not the other way. So I operated this way, which was a real pain.
Working someone on the second radio was an adventure. I hope I didn’t
accidentally log someone on the wrong band.
After I finally gave up, I plugged in my audio switch for the headphones. Guess
what, the 1000MP headphone jack doesn’t work. It was too late to open it up
and find out why. My only option was to use the speaker jack, and jury rig it.
With that impedance, I had hum in my right ear all weekend. It was a kluge. I
had bleed through, and had to turn the volume down just to hear on the other
radio. But it sort of worked.

Then while doing that, I hear a loud pop. My Titan amp is now dead. I wasn’t
even using it at the time. OK, I have to move the Alpha to the run station, and
just call guys barefoot on the second radio. Not that big a deal down there,
except on 80/160. After all this, I decide that I will just have to run the way
things are. My chance of fixing the EU beverage is long gone. The last thing I
had to do was wire the plugs for the generator. I was really tired, but knew if
I didn’t do it the power would go off and I would be screwed. After that I
decided to stop trying to fix stuff, it’s too late. I just layed down and
tried to take a nap. That didn’t go so well, I probably slept for 15mins.

So the contest starts, and I get off to a decent start. Then things start
picking up, and I am really flying. I figured out how to hear properly with the
K3 when everyone is almost zero beat. My rate is good, and I keep going well. I
get through the first 23 hours with my highest QSO total ever. I am doing
mental calculations, and dreaming of 8000 qsos.  The only disappointment was
160M, where I would call loud EU stations and not even get a “?”. But I
figured it was just the wrong time.

I felt really good, then at 2330z, the electric power goes out. I don’t
panic, thankful I wired up the stuff for the generator. It takes me around 6
minutes to transfer over, and I am back on the air. It is not a big generator
but seems to handle the load OK. I continue running for about 1.5 hours, and
then the generator runs out of gas. Again mental calculations ensue, and I
realize I will need more gas. I call Joel and ask him to deliver more. He gets
mad at me, but what could I do. It was night time, and no way for me to do
anything alone. When he comes, he says the power is restored everywhere. But
not at the station.

Then after he leaves, I notice the Alpha is not working properly. After a few
more minutes, it is putting out only 200W. OK, now I down to no amplifiers. I
am just shaking my head now in disbelief. But I press on low power.

Every 1.5 hours I stop, and go refill the generator. By 0600 I realize they
will not fix the power any time soon. Nothing happens fast on these islands. I
realize I will not have enough gas to get me through the next morning. I
figured I’d better take off time and sleep, since I didn’t want to miss
sunrise. That turned out to be wise.

I got some rest and missed over 4 hours. Usually I operate 48 hours so this was
different. But the rest was needed and I was more efficient when I woke up. I
had some good hours in the morning, and continued on. Even barefoot, the
pileups were big and the rate was high. No problem for them hearing me. I am
doing OK, just disappointed at what might have been. It gets to about 1700 on
Sunday and still no power. I am about to run out of gas. I hear a knock on the
door. It’s 2 guys wondering what was going on. I came out, and they were
fixing the problem down the road. I told them to hurry because I had no gas
left for the generator. Literally with a couple of pints left, the power was
restored.

Nothing else went wrong, and I pressed on till the end. I still made more qsos
than ever before. Basically the same result as 2010 in 5 less hours and 1.5
less amps. Have to be happy with that.

I can’t wait till next year!
I am amazed and jealous of some of the efforts I read about. For example VE3EY
going to 9Y4 with one radio, a small amp and portable antennas. There is a lot
to be said for that, simplicity sometimes is better.
Thanks again to K3NM, V44KBP and V44KAI for their assistance in getting the
station going again. I had a blast.

73,  Andy N2NT/V47NT