[3830] CQWW CW GD6IA(GM3WOJ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW GD6IA(GM3WOJ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 16:42:41 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GD6IA
Operator(s): GM3WOJ
Station: GD6IA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Isle of Man
Operating Time (hrs): 33

  160:    1     1        1
   80:  807    20       74
   40:  647    23       74
   20:  948    24       85
   15: 1273    27       81
   10: 1342    33       96
------------------------------

Club: Three As CG

Comments:

Hello contesters

This visit to the Isle of Man had two aims (1) visit my old friend Alex GD6IA
who I've known since 1970 and (2) make the GD mult available as much as
possible.

The GD6IA station is well equipped, but this year we did not have the use of
the adjacent field where we had installed 160, 80 and 40m antennas in the
past. The station does not have permanent antennas for LF, so we set about
installing an antenna for 160m and 80m on Friday. Unfortunately despite
several hours of work, we could not get it to work on 160m and with darkness
falling had to very reluctantly concede that we would be on only 5 bands
during the contest - not ideal but we did our best considering the limited
time and space available. We were not expecting to set any records anyway,
just have fun working pile-ups.

Conditions were very good on both days and the GD prefix created instant
pile-ups. However it was very noticeable that if I went higher up any band
than the 'normal' Skimmer/SDR/RBN frequency ranges, then it often took a few
minutes before I was spotted and the hordes arrived.

In contrast to the SSB leg (GM2V), I spent most of WW CW working pile-ups, with

only a few short S&P sessions to work mults. I knew that although loads of

mults did call me, I could not assume that this would happen and had to go
and find them when I got a chance.

Visitors and other constraints (e.g. a sore tooth - now removed!) meant I
operated for 32 hours 54 minutes - average 154 Qs/hr = 5069 QSOs = 5.5M pts
approx.

Great fun - thanks to everyone who worked GD6IA and to Alex for his great
hospitality and to my XYL Pippa who kept bringing me food and cups of tea
every 10 minutes.

73
Chris     GM3WOJ / GM2V