[3830] CQWW CW VU2CDP(@VU2SWS) SOSB(A)/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vu2cdp@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VU2CDP(@VU2SWS) SOSB(A)/10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:20:59 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VU2CDP
Operator(s): VU2CDP
Station: VU2SWS

Class: SOSB(A)/10 HP
QTH: Mumbai (MK69)
Operating Time (hrs): 5:58

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  330    22       55
------------------------------

Club: VU Contest Group

Comments:

Radio: Kenwood TS 590
Antenna: 3 el- SteppIR
Amp: AL-80B @ 380-400 watts
S/w: N1MM ver 13.10.2
Accessories: Winkey USB + paddle

No CAT and no WKUSB-enabled keying by N1MM. 100% manual keying as evident from
the sending errors, once too often.

This was my first contest effort in 2013 after being away from radio during the
entire year. Idea was to run, run and run some more. But long hours at work the
previous week and then working again on Saturday meant, i could only make it to
VU2SWS around 1230z feeling tired. Got setup and by the time i was QRV, 10m had
packed up. Aarrghhh! Spent time listening around on other bands. There was good
dx to be worked including my friends down in VU7.

Day 2: After getting about 6.5 hours of sleep, i had some orange juice and
started running. Condx didn't sound great with lot of echo and QSB evident on
many signals. The sub-100w stations were barely audible most of the time. By
the time it was 0530z, i was starting to fall asleep in the chair. Took a brief
nap. Came back feeling a bit refreshed, S&Ped but too few mults in the log.
By the time i started my second run, sleep hit again and this time with a
splitting headache, i decided to catch up on sleep again. Sleep deprivation
during the week is bad for a contest - note to self. Got about 1.5 hours and
then got back for my final run. Worked a few State-side but by and large too
few QSOs. I think propagation was better the previous day.

I was tracking the activity from VU7 on my phone and there were a few 10m
spots, (therefore the Assisted category). I turned the beam  looking for mults
but i could barely hear any. The last QSO in the log was 8P5A and it took
several calls to get his attention.

I hope the continuous calling disease goes away soon. Several times i sent
<prefix> kn or <prefix> bk but the callers would keep calling.
Takes the fun out of operating and makes you lose rhythm.

A big thank you to Sarla for letting me use her shack.

73,
Deepak VU2CDP