[3830] CQWW CW 9Y4W(N6TJ) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N6TJ@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 9Y4W(N6TJ) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 01:51:11 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 9Y4W
Operator(s): N6TJ
Station: 9Y4W

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: TOBAGO
Operating Time (hrs): 47

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 3640    39      137
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

A man should know his limitations.  At age 74, one could hope that I'd know by
now that I'm simply no longer capable of competing on this most competitive of
world stages.

You would think also it's not likely to be very rewarding doing a SB20 when the
SFI is over the top, and virtually everyone will be on 15 and 10, and resort to
20 only when 15/10 have closed - if at all.

Well, obviously still learning, I made the long trek to my dear friend Andy's
great accommodations on the Island of Tobago.  And having just survived 45
hours of M/2 with W6NV at KH6LC's for SSB, what the heck, let's see if I can
still do 48 straight.  By the way, it was our dear friend John Beck ZD8J, a
multiple winner of CQ CW, who first taught me upon my arrival to Ascension as
ZD8Z in 1968: (1) one must always shoot for 48-straight, and (2) it is more
psychological than physical.

In this most recent, the Sunday hour before sunrise was so poor, I decided to
rest for an hour, so 47 hours it was.  And I sneaked a quick look at 15 about
3AM, and it was simply rocking to Europe.  Oh well.

Conditions on 20 were a challenge throughout the first 42 hours or so; it
finally sounded like 20 should with about four hours to go Sunday night.  And
as I've prided myself as being a "DX OPERATOR" first, throughout my
59 years of contesting, and DX Operators love 20, the thrill of actually
finding their own DX, and busting the pileups.
So for good or bad, 20 it was.

I was actually ahead of my No. 1 SB20 QSO total from 2010 through-out the
weekend, but that 600 QSO lead was gone by the 42nd hour. Never did hear Zone
37. It was conditions.  It was contester old-age.

My apologies to my buddy K0DQ for not QSYing Saturday night upon request.  I
had just commenced a decent run to EU when he asked.  I replied
"LATER", fully expecting Scotty to track me down during the last
hours, but now I read he was 'running'.  And Andy at V47T was the only other to
ask, and I was happy to help Andy out on 3 other bands.

A few observations:

(1) In every contest I learn.  It's usually Tom W2SC @ 8P5A or Jeff N5TJ @
anywhere, running pile-ups as smoothly as any one could hope.  I usually stop
for a minute and LISTEN to how these pro's do it. Thanks Tom for getting me
back in the rhythm for the late Sunday run.

(2) To NQ4I:  Rick what duping system are you guys using there?  I got tired of
logging you after the FOURTH dupe.

(3) I take some exception to those who claim that none of us ID anymore. Some
will proclaim I still ID too often.  And even then, we still get busted by the
packeteers who seemingly have never learned CW.  Thanks to the guy who posted
me as 9Y5W.  duh.

(4) Congratulations to the nice scores from the three big ZD8 40/15/10
operators from  the 'cottage' I found them atop Ascension Island's Green
Mountain.

Let's see what 2014 brings.  This was probably the last solar max for the few
of us left from my generation.  And by then, some of us may actually have
learned our limitations.  Oh, and thanks again Andy for your kind hospitality
and world-class cooking !!

And thanks to all I worked this past weekend.  Real CW contesting is still a
trip.

73

Jim Neiger
N6TJ/9Y4W