[3830] CQWW CW CE1/K7CA SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7ca@infowest.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CE1/K7CA SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 13:17:24 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CE1/K7CA
Operator(s): CE1/K7CA
Station: CE1/K7CA

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Chile
Operating Time (hrs): 26:48

  160:
   80:
   40: 2163    34      112
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2163    34      112  Total Score = 932,064

Club:

Comments:

First time trying 40m from Chile.  Put up a 2 EL end fire vertical array
pointing north which was excellent for Asia, USA, and EU but I struggled to
work other Southern Hemisphere stations outside SA.  I tried calling a couple
of different VK stations but their pileups were too big. Before the contest I
put a liter of Coke in the fridge and thought I would get it in the next room
the first time I had a break from running to call some automatic cqs.  Stations
never stopped calling and it took over 8 hours and I was sure thirsty for that
Coke. It would be nice to have more than 10.5 hours of darkness here for the
low bands but that really does help on the high bands down here.
  The end fire vertical array was made with one 30' long 2 inch aluminum driven
element fed with an UNUN transformer and for the reflector I used a 40m/6m
steppir vertical with the center conductor grounded through a 4 turn coil to a
25 quarter wave radial ground.  I put a field strength meter at the back of the
array and tuned the steppir for a null on 7050 KHz.  It was amazing to watch the
signal go through the null and gave me a good feeling that the antenna was tuned
exactly where I wanted it.
  Thanks for all the qsos and I hope to see you all in the ARRL 160M contest in
December and then in the ARRL 10m and SP contests.  73, Al CE1/K7CA