[3830] ARRL 160 KO7AA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ko7ss@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KO7AA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 04:44:32 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KO7AA
Operator(s): KO7AA
Station: KO7AA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 3

Total:  QSOs = 210  Sections = 59  Countries = 0  Total Score = 24,780

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

First 160M contest since moving to AZ 10 years ago. When I first built up
this station I put in a 90 X 70' radial field, with a 1/4 wave 80M vertical
and a Cushcraft MA160V over it. The first time I fired it up, I was in all
the nearest neighbor's appliances on both bands. $150 dollars worth of fixes
later I was good for full power on 80M but still had problems with >50W on
160M, so I just stopped using 160M.

10 years later and I've run out of ways to improve my scores (to catch the
guy in front of me in the final results). Time to figure out how to get 160M
back. I have a second 90 X 35' radial field with a 4BTV vertical that helps
with SO2R stuff. I put the MA160V over that field, and apparently my house
blocks enough of the RF on its way to the neighbors', because 800W is fine.
More than that heats the top loading coil and the antenna detunes itself.

I got a Pixel Pro 1B receiving loop last week. I am IMPRESSED! I have never
used a receiving antenna before so I have nothing to compare it with, but
the steady S-6 to 7 noise on 160M here in in-town Tucson is now S-0. All the
signals are S-0 to 3, but I didn't miss anybody calling in and it was easy
listening.

The MA160V has a 2:1 bandwidth of 8 khz, and I didn't want to use the tuner,
so this score is for the club, 3.0 hours of CQing on 1820 khz.

73, Bill in Tucson