[3830] ARRL 160 N7XU(K4XU) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N7XU(K4XU) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 00:13:21 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N7XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: WS7N

Class: M/S HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 7:07

Total:  QSOs = 369  Sections = 76  Countries = 6  Total Score = 59,280

Club: CODXC

Comments:

Started the contest late Saturday night after the club's Christmas party. Made
it to WS7N about 11PM. -24°F, many electrons had stopped moving. Antenna's
magnetic field very sluggish. Most of the RF sent to the antenna came back to
the shack to get warm.
On the good side, nary a thunderstorm in all of North America made for very
quiet conditions. In the short time I was on, it felt like 10m -- working 'em
all the way down to the galactic noise floor. Conditions deteriorated through
Sunday dawn. Still -21°F, my diesel Jetta won't start. Had to call XYL to come
get me. Will leave the VW at Bob's, maybe till spring.
Ran about 600W to a shunt-fed 80ft four section crank-up tower with a 6el 10m
beam on top with lots and lots of radials. Worked almost everything DX I heard
which was rather little. Was looking for CODXC member Paula at T32RC but no
dice.
Any contest is a great contest, right?
T73,
Dick