[3830] ARRL 10 N2IC SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N2IC SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:23:41 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: N ew Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 25

   CW: 1209   116
  SSB: 1316   107
-------------------
Total: 2525   223  Total Score = 1,664,918

Club:

Comments:

Doing low power, mixed mode, with so-so antennas and one radio from southwest NM
is not for sissies.

To EU it felt like QRP. To JA it felt like 100 watts. To anything west of JA,
it felt like QRPp. To W1/2/3/4/8/9 it felt like an Emtron.

Started the contest with 3 minutes of unanswered CQ's on CW. Went S&Ping.
Even JA's were tough. Finished the first hour with only 49 QSO's. Some decent
Es after that. Finished the night with about 150 QSO's, mostly CW.

Saturday AM started at 1325Z (SR-45 minutes) with a CO6 CQing in my face. Band
gradually improved, and became walkable to EU around 1425Z. Not deep. Not
north. Southern DL was about the N/S limit at that longitude. Strangely, I
couldn't get much going on CW but moved to a clear spot around 28750 and had a
much better run. Band went auroral around 17Z, which actually has benefits,
getting SM and OH. The USA switch was turned on at 18Z. Great USA runs on both
CW and SSB from 18Z-00Z. Several 200+ hours. This is only 100 watts ?

Band crashed to W1 and JA simultaneously at 0030Z. A few more QSO's for the
next hour, but 100 watts was more like QRP with a crashing band.

Started up at 1325Z again Sunday (well before sunrise). Signals. Pretty loud.
All EU. Some even hear me. Direct path. No propagation to USA. Unfortunately,
weird stuff like this doesn't usually foretell a great opening, and this was no
exception. The only thing that changed was that the USA started QRMing the EU.
Essentially an F, EA, I opening. Only crawlable on CW at 100 watts.  Band
closed earlier to EU, so the USA switch came on earlier. A few big USA hours,
then ran out of guys to work.

Wasn't trying to optimize the score. This was a WRTC practice session for me.
Didn't even realize CW was worth 2x until sometime Saturday.