[3830] ARRL 10 C4Z(5B4AIZ) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 C4Z(5B4AIZ) SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:31:47 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: LARNACA
Operating Time (hrs): 26

   CW: 1572   149
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1572   149  Total Score = 936,912

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Conditions were good but not spectacular. Comparing my results with 2011 when i
was using low power I see I made then  180 mlts, with 145 dxcc countries, and
lass than 200 fewer q's, at least the extra few hundred watts  high power
boosted  my NA mults up to 52 from 35 back then.

Just 98 dxcc was a disappointment, S&P was a toil that was not so rewarding
this time out. I think the primary reason is that that I just didn't  get the
timing of the searches right, I guess so many more are doing mixed mode now as
I see many mults in those 3830 listings and I never ran across them Nothing at
all heard from PAC, JA was fair first day and very good on Sunday. Only one ZL
but several VK who were all very weak. NA seemed late to appear both days but
was very good when it did although I couldn't get beyond CO & AZ and they
were esp levels  however east coast, 5/8/9's were great copy. A real bonus for
me was not one but two XE stns, Zone 6 is always a black hole for mr and this
id the first time I ever got XE in a contest. VE seemed just to comprise of ON
and it was well into second day before I managed VE9AA and VY2TT for a lousy
final result from that big country, but see later where I get an unexpected
bonus.

At this time of year we get at most 11 useful hours per day on this band, after
that it is just scratching around. After close up around 17.30 (local time z+2)
we do get up to 3/4 hours propagation to SA & AF but there are very few not
already worked. Why is there such poor support from those areas? Those guys
enjoying their longest days are the only ones who need to even think about the
36 hour limit, it is free time in the candy store, they should be filling their
boots but so few turn up. What a great station K7CA has put together down in
CE1, he was like a beacon whenever I tuned the band.

There were times of strange propagation, like multi path echo on EU signals,
not unusual for JA , KL7, W6/7 but never EU before from here. So bad at times I
had to give up, sorry to those callers.

Sunday eve ning after dinner around 19.30 I returned to the rig, the beam still
looking NW to NA and zilch from there, turning down to SA  I could hear US west
coast sounding very strong and peaking  over South Pole. That path lasted for 2
full hours. Oh the frustration, hearing all those mlts I needed and the US guys
busy working each other. I darned wore out my F5 button with my call and seldom
even got a ? in that time. Believe me fellers you were loud. I managed just 4
contacts but they were all mults, so my Golden Ears Awards go to VE5UF, VE7JH,
K0HA & K0TT, I lost count of the CA,  WA & OR stns I called. My antenna
was just not big enough or high enough, my amp not loud enough, nothing I can do
about the height but there is an X7 lying in the garage waiting to be put
together.

Quite a few  bad signals, Sunday particularly there were some tired mps to be
heard, I did tell one 'TM' stn who was particularly bad but he continued to cq
in my face, poor sportsmanship with such a disregard for others! Some oddities
too such as  ZS9MADIBA &  OM20TUSR, are those guys for real?, can you
imagine entering  a contest with calls like that? It's like entering a Marathon
with your legs bound together, we do see all sorts.

An enjoyable weekend as always, thanks to the organisers and my fellow
competitors for the contacts and for the company. Have a happy and peaceful
Christmas and look forward to meeting up again in many of the contest events in
2014.

Eqp't  TS570 + Acom 1010 3 Ele Tribander up 15mtrs. Logging with 'SD'

73  Brian 5B4AIZ / C4Z.