[3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, herbs@vitelcom.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 14:29:02 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: U.S, Virgin Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 11

Total:  QSOs = 357  Total Score = 3,214

Club:

Comments:

After a week in the hospital for some intestinal surgery and another week on my
back at home trying to get my strength back I should have stayed in bed. The
TBDC this year was and exercise in brutality for me. part of the contest I
tried to operate standing up since nearly 50 metal staples in my gut reminded
me constantly that this was not the time to be hunched over the radio for 10
hours. The Stew Perry TBDC is my favorite contest and I normally like to
operate around 1825 with the run VFO and do some S&P for multipliers or
weaker DX.  This was not possible since another local station less than a mile
from me set up shop smack dab in the middle of the DX area with a wall to wall
CQ machine.  It is normally bad enough with tropical noise most of the time but
this constant pumping of the noise floor across the band pushed me down to
around 1811 Khz to try and squeeze some contacts into a few seconds between the
endless nearby CQ machine.  My EU Beverage bought me a bit of relief to EU
stations since it has a good deep null toward the CQ machine station but
S&P was out of the question for the most part.  The end result was
disappointing hearing sometimes many stations calling with only chopped up
partial calls.  Finally I turned off all pre-amps and cranked in the
attenuators to limit the noise floor pumping and was able to maintain some
decent runs but with numerous repeats.  However the fact remains that most of
the time I was essentially deaf on RX.  Thanks to all who stayed with me on
finishing a contact and those that did not just abandon the efforts in
finishing the QSO's.