[3830] TBDC K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tree@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:25:31 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K7RAT
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 550  Total Score = 3,364

Club:

Comments:

High power operation from the nerve center of the Boring Amateur Radio Club.

I almost put in the full 14 hours - but just was too tired near the end.

Did not work any Europe this time around - however, conditions seemed excellent
to the east coast and I worked a ton of stations from FN/FM with great signals.
At 8 or 9 points each - those add up nicely.

Almost worked DU7ET who called me - but faded before I could get his grid
square. Best DX was VK6GX around his sunset.  Also worked VK3IO, ZL3IX and of
course CE1/K7RA and HD2RAE.  Had DU7ET call me - but I did not get his grid
square.  Maybe a dozen JAs.

When I first switched to the Southwest beverage, I had a very loud static
sounding noise.  That direction requires +12V to be fed down the hardline to
switch some relays to reverse the beverage.  I finally isolated it to a length
of about 200 feet of hardline.  It did not appear to be the connectors.  This
same coax seemed to be causing some kind of arcing when I was transmitting as
well (reported in the first hour of the test).  I spliced in another piece of
coax for now and all seems fine - but will be interested in trying to find out
what happened.  Likely some kind of contamination at one of the ends.
Reinstalling the connectors did not fix it.

Nice to hear so much activity in the USA.  I worked many stations I have not
heard much on this band.

73 Tree N6TR