[3830] TBDC K2AV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2av@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K2AV Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 20:59:06 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K2AV
Operator(s): K2AV
Station: K2AV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 2.6

Total:  QSOs = 222  Total Score = 655

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Late start due to company. But worse, suffering from back strain pain from
strenuous honey-do work earlier in week. Clearly was doing very well on the
band, some MM rate meter hits of 250, runs were all over 100/hr. But could not
stand the pain that was building up with B.I.C. Going to have to add clearing
week prior of strenuous work to contest strategy items.

Also the pain highlighted the heretofore unnoticed fact that my operating
position has me leaning forward, which I am going to have to do something
about.

I had some kind of spotlight opening into Sweden early on, harbinger of good
things to come, but had to give it up before EU sunrise.  West coast guys were
stronger than I remember them. Hate to have messed this opportunity up, but it
sure was a relief to get flat.

Station: 3/8 L over FCP, K3 + 3-1000Z, phased Loops on Ground to NE.

After discovery in ARRL 160 of non-distorting settings for K3 NB and noise
nulls in the band using those settings, kept to those frequencies for runs, and
the on-again off-again S8 noise was a non-factor. Hard to believe. That's DSP NB
of t1-7 and IF NB of narrow 4 for K3 owners, and probably its success is related
specifically to power line leakage noise.

73, Guy.