[3830] TBDC N5IA(@N7GP) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N5IA(@N7GP) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 03:05:45 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N5IA
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N7GP

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 13
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 244  Total Score = 2,961

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This report is for my core operation in the QRP category.  The 13 hours is
sandwiched between the N7GP operation at HP during the daylight hours.  Since
the contest is for only 14 hours out of the 24 hour contest period, I make use
of some daylight propagation periods immediately before and after this QRP
operation to double up on my Top Band fun.  See the separate report for the
N7GP
operation.

My best hour was 30 Qs during the 0400 hour.  By the 0900 hour the band was
'dead'.  I managed only FOUR Qs that hour, with 44 minutes the longest time
between two consecutive contacts.  I don't think I was sleeping!!!  However,
one of the highlights of the night was JA3YBK calling in at 0902, just before
the band took the dive.

For me the band never did recover, with the last four hours yielding just 43
more Qs.  The other highlight was ZL3IX calling in at 1156 for a 72 pointer.
Thanks, Greg, for being patient getting my exchange.  C6ANM, KH6LC and KL7RA
were the only other DX contacts.  G4AMT was heard CQing once, and was the only
EU heard.  A real surprise was only 6 VE stations in the log.  XE1AY and XE2S
rounded out the count of contacts outside the lower 48.

My MO of CQing away from the 'hot' part of the band seems to be paying off.
The highlight examples above seem to indicate that some distant stations look
for the weaker CQ stations knowing that in the SPDC a contact can yield x2 or
x3 points from such a contact in the final scoring.

By the same token, I as a QRP station, have a difficult go at breaking the
piles for the distant CQing stations who are commanding a LOT of attention.
This go-around was no exception.  All the little tricks to get Herbie's, Al's
and RA0FF's attention just didn't work.  Their signals were outstanding;
significantly above what I normally hear from them.  But they and HD2RAE never
even afforded me consolation with a '??'.

A few stats for those that care.  Last year my Q to point ratio was 13.1.  This
year with more Qs and points, the ratio is 12.1.

I worked stations in 148 grids.  The grid providing the most contacts was DM13
with 9.  DM43 provided 8, while CN85 and DM79 checked in with 7 each.

Another SPDC has come and gone with great success.  Thanks to Tree, Lew, and
the BARC for an outstanding contest format and another good run.

73, thanks for the Qs, and HAPPY NEW YEAR.  CU all in the CQ 160 CW a month
from now.

de Milt, N5IA