[3830] RTTY Roundup KK6L Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kk6l@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup KK6L Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 00:14:21 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: KK6L
Operator(s): KK6L
Station: KK6L

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NE3F
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
   80:    1
   40:  141
   20:  238
   15:  160
   10:   45
------------
Total:  584  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 52  Total Score = 60,152

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Weather was a negative factor this year, since a freak winter storm froze
everything over a couple days before. Then during the contest, we had freezing
rain that complicated the antennas and transportation home. I was originally
going to guest op at N3BNA, but it was mostly inaccessible after the earlier
storm, so I gladly accepted and invitation back to the home of Steve Dobbs,
NE3F. I got there at 12:30 p.m. thinking I could just show up and get the RTTY
working, but anyone who has ever configured a RTTY setup knows it's plagued by
oddities. By the time you get it working, you can't tell anyone how or why it
works, so you just go for it and hope it hangs in there. All that to say, it
took 3 hours to get the rig, amp, and computer working together through the
RigBlaster Plus, so I started late. I'll be honest; I got a slow start. I
couldn't find my S&P groove for about 10 hours, and when the bands died at
1:00 a.m. EST, I only had about 216 contacts. I hit the sack and got 6 hours of
sleep. Next morning, things clicked, and I bottomed out at 585 contacts on
Sunday afternoon. Overall, it was good experience; everyone (except a few
grumps not even worth mentioning) was very cordial and had a good time. Next
year, I'm hoping to break 1500 (ambitious, I know). Now I just need someone
with a decent antenna farm and a hefty amp to host me... I'll bring beer! :)
73's DE KK6L, Jake L.