[3830] RTTY Roundup KD9MS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup KD9MS Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 02:09:26 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: KD9MS
Operator(s): KD9MS
Station: KD9MS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL EM57mh
Operating Time (hrs): 9:15
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  101
   40:  107
   20:  180
   15:  109
   10:   20
------------
Total:  517  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 42  Total Score = 47,564

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

At start of the contest I was driving about 100 miles south of Atlanta, heading
home from our Disney World trip, so needless to say, I was late getting
started. Actually I got started about 300Z, 9 hours after the contest started.
So I am pleased with my performance although I wish I could have worked the
full 24 hours. I missed a lot of EU on 40 in the evening, but as usual, it came
back later in the evening. Signals were pretty good on 40 and I even worked
YO3APJ on 80m before I started running.

The 80m band was wall to wall and being in the Black Hole is a benefit for a
contest like this because stations are all around to the East and West. North
and South too but to be able to work both coasts is good in a contest like this
one. 37 sections from 80 so you can tell from my log, that's where I started
running.

40 was quite good too giving me again over 100 Q's and 8 more sections with 13
DX entities. Even better in the last 5 minutes of the contest I needed DC and
NE and in 2 minutes I picked them up on 40 CQing in the last 9 minutes of the
contest. I wanted to get 100 there and I was a little short.

20 was by far my best band, but I sat on 14.091 from about 13:50 to 18:15Z and
made a lot of contacts there. Good spot for me, Hard to get in the meat part of
20M between 14.080 to 14.090 but that is a good area for the little gun like me.
4 sections and 11 DXC.

15M was good, but I mostly  did S&P there until later in the day, probably
too late to make a good EU run.  Still 109 Q's there. 1 section and 11 DXC. I
chased VE1 around for a bit, but he was mostly S%P and I couldn't catch that
multiplier on 15. And I missed AR because AR is too close to IL for 15 and 10m.

10m was left by the wayside because I lost all of Saturday driving so I had to
give up on something although I did make 20 Q's there with 6 DXC.

Since our Christmas trees (plural) were still up, at about 2000z, I had to stop
and get the trees boxed up and put back into the garage. The XYL and kids had
undecorated them so that nice job of deconstruction was mine and my 15 year
olds job. Once the trees were up I told my wife I was heading back to the shack
so I came in and started back at 2249z, just a little more than an hour left. I
put 94 entries into the log in the last hour and 10 minutes! NOW THAT WAS
FUN!!!

Ah! The ARRL RTTY RU. What a contest! Perfect for the computer geek and the ham
radio nerd. Lots of computer screens, monitors and oh the noise, noise, noise!

It doesn't get any better than this! Next year, no trip to Disney due back on
the day of the RU!

73,
Craig KD9MS