[3830] NAQP CW K7IA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K7IA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:30:46 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 10:00

  160:   36    18
   80:  148    42
   40:  130    34
   20:  238    48
   15:  199    43
   10:   29    17
-------------------
Total:  780   202  Total Score = 157,560

Club:

Team:

Comments:

A sprint all the way, as usual.  Better Beverage antennas (recently) this year
proved a boon to the low bands.

Fewer Qs, same mults compated to last year.  Plenty of action, so how come?  I
have trouble getting 10m (and 6m) signals out of our canyon QTH, so I spent
only minimal time on 10.  15 was superb, delaying my QSY to 20m.  I got more Qs
on 15 this year, but at a net expense on 20.  This suggests setting time limits
per 10 and 15, regardless of the Q-rate, but it's simply hard to quit in the
midst of action and fun.

With recent Beverage improvements, I naturally wanted to evaluate Rx sigs on
the low bands, and so I spent more time on them than on 40m.  The 10 hour time
limit certainly offers a *hook* -- how to budget the time off...

Interesting:  With no Assisted category, there were certainly a lot of instant
pileups at near zero beat just after starting a new Running frequency.  I don't
believe in telepathy, but even if it existed, I doubt telepath sigs would exit
our canyon QTH.  Just the same, the little piles could have been fun to work if
it weren't for the unruly behavior.  Example:  if the best I can do is to get
two characters of a callsign, and I send those characters, then nearly everyone
in the pile responds with their own callsigns.  I have macros to send the
prosigns AS and KN (Wait, and Go Ahead Specific Station for you chaps with CW
readers), but sending them made little difference.  Not fun, guys!  Once I
commit to working a chap, I stick with him until the QSO is made.  Then I
depart the unruly with a QSY to a new spot (easy to do with a P3).  If more
Running Ops were to do something like that, perhaps the unruly would shape up
their self control...

I don't really care for the Assisted class, but it's here to say, and therefore
it's time for NCJ to create one for the NAQP events.  That way, the Running Ops
don't have to ID themselves as often...