[3830] NAQP CW K3FIV M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K3FIV M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 00:12:09 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:    0     0
   80:  101    32
   40:   54    30
   20:   75    36
   15:   91    38
   10:   32    19
-------------------
Total:  353   155  Total Score = 54,715

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #6

Comments:

Used the spotting network to send spots, so I guess I'm a major multi-op
multi-transmitter.   My little Flex-3000 and wire dipole at 30 feet will be
honored to be in such exalted company...

Nice contest.  Just the right length.   The NCCC/SMC/PVRC challenge is the
attraction to motivate spending a day on the air.  Conditions seemed pretty
good with lots of activity.  Did all S&P on 20/15/10 where my dipole
doesn't produce much punch.   Got to do some runs on 80 where my signal is a
little more competitive.

Bands seemed really congested, with stations calling right on top of each
other.    Errrr, at least it sounded that way to me.   Then I noticed that the
"MultiRx" button was lit, which means that the audio from both VFOs
was being fed into my headphones.   So, I was hearing the stations I was trying
to work.  But I was also hearing the stations on some other frequency elsewhere
in the band - wherever the 2nd VFO was set.

Once I noticed this, it was easy to get rid of the "QRM".   But for
some unexplained reason, the MultiRx kept occasionally re-enabling all by
itself.   I suspect some interaction with the rig and N1MM macros.   Never did
that before though.

Murphy also had another new trick this time.  When I started the contest, none
of the logger macros worked, even though I checked a week or so ago.  More
troubleshooting.  Turns out that last week I switched Internet providers, which
you wouldn't expect to cause a problem with the radio.   But ... somewhere along
the way that process disrupted the file sharing settings on my LAN, and of
course the N1MM macros were on a different machine so N1MM couldn't get at
them.

Sigh...it was so much simpler with my Hallicrafters SX-110, Knight T-150, and
J-38.

73.
/Jack de K3FIV