[3830] NAQP SSB N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:50 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~9

  160:  106    29
   80:  348    47
   40:  152    36
   20:  440    44
   15:  157    30
   10:   71    21
-------------------
Total: 1274   207  Total Score = 263,718

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Northwest Team 1

Comments:

I keep learning things the hard way starting a Windows update at 1730Z which
didn't finish until 1819Z. That ruined any thoughts about this being a good
outing and the slow rate of barely over 100 first 2 hours didn't help. So, I
adopted a non-serious attitude and just decided to run 'em. I finally hit my
stride shortly after 20Z when I went to 20, a very limited number of
backscatter Q's were worked, but the skip was short enough to work IL,TN,AL,GA
and everything farther out. There were more VE4's on than ever it seemed and I
guess the winter Wx kept them thinking radio; it was cold enough here, down to
16 F by midnight. 20 was going well for about 90 minutes, then 40 turned into a
pain with QRM making me struggle with a string of weak guys. After a dinner
break, 20 was truly a bottomless pit from 2350-0114Z with TX still loud at
first  and a boatload of CA callers. Then 75 was a real runners delight with a
fairly deep pile up at times, but few were worked west of the plains until
after 04Z.
It's interesting to note all of the short monosyllabic names on the high bands
and all of the longer more interesting ones (and challenging to copy) on the
low bands. By and large, the callers were well behaved and the rate stayed up
there until just after 03Z when 160 was ripe for the picking. Most Q's were out
to only MO and MN and quite a few were  brand new calls for the test. So, now
that I know I can do well once the activity shifts to 20, will try again to
knuckle down and try to compete for a few places higher. The mult was low, I
didn't have much luck when I did S%P and the rate suffered. Mult highlight was
thanks to VE9AA for finding me on 20 thru 160! There was a good showing from HI
and AK especially on 20 and I did move an AK from 20 thru 10. Thanks to those
especially who patiently waited when the pile ups were big; I tried to pick out
those weaker ones I kew had been there a few Q's back. I just had some good pile
up practice as W1AW/8, and WV will be back again in mid Oct. And many thanks to
all for the Q's; it was a nice break from the winter doldrums.

73 from WV,
Jeff