[3830] NAQP SSB N3UM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N3UM Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:45:47 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: N3UM
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: N3UM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 4.1

  160:   13     9
   80:   78    23
   40:   71    33
   20:   54    20
   15:   38    15
   10:
-------------------
Total:  254   100  Total Score = 25,400

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Northwest Team 1

Comments:

My first time in Jan. NAQP SSB (I've done Jan. NAQP CW for years).
All but the first hour of NAQP SSB overlapped with ARRL VHF SS,
which I enjoy.  So, I alternated between contests in order to help
the PVRC club score.  18-19 Z I ran on 15 and 20 m.and made 82 Qs
in 0.9 hr. for 91/hr.  As usual the VHF test slowed down a lot after
2 hr, so I did NAQP again 21-22 Z and found it noisy, crowded, and
SLOW, 41/hr running and tuning.  Same on 40 m. when I tried it again
for 50 min. starting 0200, 39/hr.  I did find 33 mults on 40 m., 10
more than any other band. Late in the evening VHF slowed as usual, so
I went to 80 m. and had a great run: 78 Qs in 0.9 hr for 85/hr., with
the short-term rate meter swinging between 40 and 200.  On 80 m.
7 more Qs in half the time compared with 40!  Half asleep, I tried
160 m. at 0430 Z and woke up in a hurry: 13 Qs and 9 mults. in 14
min. before the rate dropped and I quit for shower and bed.