[3830] CQ160 CW K5WA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K5WA@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K5WA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 08:36:22 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 21

Total:  QSOs = 1015  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 48  Total Score = 356,685

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, the two nights couldn't have been more different here in southeast Texas.
The first night started a bit slow and I was afraid we weren't going to get a
good EU opening but it popped open and we had good conditions to western EU and
a couple of zone 20s.  This was the first time I had relatively good success
calling CQ and getting EU response.  It is nice to occasionally see how the
east coast lives.  ;-)  The JA run was fantastic.  I can remember ever hearing
JA calls so clearly.  Very nice not to ask for 5 repeats on each contact.  No
VK/ZL for me though and that was a bummer.

The second night seemed like it was going to be good when early on I heard a
few of the EU stations worked the night before but condition dropped like a
rock and it seemed like a blanket got tossed over the station.  Very few and
very weak EU stations made it into the log.  I called the contest early since
it was down to 10-20 an hour of US.  Just glad one night was good and would
sure like to see two in a row one year.

Still fun to give the antenna a good workout.  It ran great and was solid as a
rock.  Nice to see only 5 watts being dumped with 1500 in at 1825.  The
beverages were great the first night but some intermittent noise popped up the
second night and the beverages couldn't handle the noise.  Guess I'll have to
go power pole whacking again.

73,
Bob K5WA