[3830] CQ160 CW VE3MGY Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3mgy@hotmail.ca
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VE3MGY Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 16:54:08 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 20

Total:  QSOs = 504  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 9  Total Score = 145,740

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

It was really interesting to read what other ops were saying about condx. Some
had Friday as the best prop and some had Saturday. Some had more noise Friday
and some more on  Saturday. Here I was initially thinking it was a fantastic
weekend for prop at first until I actually compared signals and condx on the
new 160M setup I have with the one I have been using in prior years.

As it turned out with the K3 I was hearing much, much more than ever before but
could work very little DX this time around running 5 watts. Never got to EU this
time and I spent way, way too much time chasing DX(!) and not enough time
running as my score and QSO totals show. It wasn’t until I started doing A/B
tests with the 7600 Saturday night ( using the 7600 as a benchmark ) that I
realized just how bad condx really were compared to other years and last year
in particular. It was just that with the K3 I was hearing so much better in
very bad condx than I was hearing last year in very good condx with the 7600.

I started a list of DX stations heard and their freqs to try and work on/off
over the weekend and ended up with over 60 DXCC that were Q5 copy here but
still NIL on Sunday morning �" and not for want of trying either.

K3  at 5 watts
TX: ¼ wave Inverted L at 85’ with 128 ¼ wave radials
RX: TX vertical and 160m Inverted V left channel, N/S and E/W 500’ beverages
right channel

Still trying to tweak all of the K3 settings and RX antenna setup.

Thanks for all the QSO's.

73
Brian
VE3MGY