[3830] CQ160 CW M5E(G0CKV) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, olof@rowanhouse.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW M5E(G0CKV) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:59:16 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: M5E
Operator(s): G0CKV
Station: GB2GM

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Poldhu, SW England
Operating Time (hrs): 20

Total:  QSOs = 868  State/Prov = 38  Countries = 63  Total Score = 529,644

Club: Wey Valley Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first ever entry in a dedicated 160m contest. I operated from the
site where Marconi did his first transatlantic transmissions in the far SW of
England. You will find a more detailed writeup here:

http://g0ckv.com/m5e/cq160.html

Main purpose was to learn about the band and to do some serious antenna
experiments. I am happy with most of what I learned, in particular in terms of
my experimental 8-circle RX array. The array performed way above expectations.

I used a K3 and KPA500 and antennas as described through the link above.
Weather in Cornwall was 'interesting' or 'challenging' (read atrocious) and cut
back on what I could do as well as operating time.

Not having played in this contest before I can't judge whether the condx were
good or bad. I heard very well though, so well that I was beginning to wonder
whether my TX antennas were OK giving the lack of response when I called. Some
RBN analysis will help me get to grips with relative TX performance in due
course.

This was mostly a relaxed S&P effort with very little running.

At the time it was such a struggle to get going and keep going under the
circumstances that I almost gave up. In retrospect it was so rewarding and fun
that I might do it gain.

73 Olof G0CKV