[3830] BC QSO VA7ODX Multi-OpMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7bec@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] BC QSO VA7ODX Multi-OpMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 07:17:35 +0000
                    British Columbia QSO Party

Call: VA7ODX
Operator(s): VA7BEC VA7KO VA7AM
Station: VA7ODX

Class: Multi-OpMixed LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:          28                         21
   40:          53                         34
   20:   76    159      30      42         53        21
   15:   56    247      63      30         62        35
   10:   18     93      62      14         23        30
Total:  150    579     155      86        193        86  Total Score = 867,970

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

A word from the sponsor...

What a great day at the radio! I speak from the PH perspective, of course.
Things were different for the VA7ODX CW and RTTY operators, as you can deduce
from the results above. But we all had enjoyable moments on the air.

There's always more PH activity than CW and Digital in QSO parties. Also, it's
far easier to trade Qs with stations in the host states of the MNQP, DEQP and
VTQP and stations in the other same-day contests by voice than in code and by
print. Consequently, I was kept very busy.

I made it a point to offer a trade when a station gave me a state in the
exchange I required for my BCQP log. So in effect, while BCQP was my priority,
I supported the other same-day events. I think many operators did this.
Reciprocal support keeps the bands buzzing and helps to build bigger logs.

Conditions were tough, certainly not as good as last year, which weren't as
good as the year before. The high bands seemed to close early and the low bands
were very noisy.

At times, I was fully engaged in major pileups -- yes! pileups! in a QSO
party!-- but not everyone trying to contact me realized that there was a
mountain of other stations trying to do the same. And so, to some operators, it
may have seemed like I was taking my merry old time in acknowledging them or
purposely ignoring them. Not so. And my apologies to anyone who might have
thought that. Conditions did play a part. But it's also quite possible that the
beam was not pointed in the right direction for me to hear you. My goal in
running the sponsor station on PH -- and the CW and RTTY operators had the same
goal -- was to work as many stations as possible, even stations that were
"felt" more so than "heard," hand out bonus points and keep
the BCQP profile high.

I think, despite perceived challenges, more BC stations were on the air. It's a
suspicion that is proving true as I look at submitted logs from out-of-BC
stations that show a considerable increase in the number of QSOs with BC
stations. Or maybe all the promotion paid off, and more stations outside BC
decided to go on a treasure hunt for VE7/VA7s and discovered riches?
Regardless, it seems BCQP is becoming a lot more fun for operators near and
far.

It was certainly fun for me, especially when on-air friends answered my CQs. It
was just wonderful to hear familiar calls from Germany and Japan and Chile as
well as BC and the rest of Canada and through the US.

I would like to tip my contest coordinator's hat to everyone who got on the air
and/or helped others get on the air for BCQP 2014, wherever the QTH may be. I
coordinate efforts to promote the event and handle administrative details
behind-the-scenes, but it is all of you who call CQ BCQP and/or answer CQs who
contineu to make this an increasingly enjoyable time in front of the radio.
Thank you.

See you again in BCQP 2015.

MNI TNX de VA7ODX team (Rebecca VA7BEC, Koji VA7KO and Dave VA7AM)