[3830] PACC N8II SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] PACC N8II SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 22:07:18 +0000
                    Dutch PACC Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~12

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   21      8     10
   40:   30      4     11
   20:   31     32     12
   15:    8     84     12
   10:   10    149     12
---------------------------
Total:  100    277     57  Total Score = 21,489

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Before I forget, some the the PJ4's were operating handing out a CN multiplier,
but the rules were not changed. So stations outside of the Netherlands cannot
count the mult or QSO per Aurelio, PC5A, the contest manager.

10 meter phone was the place to be for anyone in NA who did not have big power
and antennas. The newer beginning class hams are quite active on 10. CW
activity in the past couple of years has undergone a steep decline on 10-20
meters, but 80 and 40 seemed about the same as previous years.

I operated pretty much straight thru until 1800Z with one short break, then
took a lot of time off after 1925Z until the time 40 started opening which was
pretty late with only the loudest signals audible before about 2150Z. I
probably only missed about 10 Q's on 20 by not milking the band. From the start
until 17Z, QSO's were very difficult for me on 20 with most Dutch stations
beaming to eastern EU. The same was true early on 15 M, they were running lots
of Russians.

The operating ability of many stations seems to have declined from a few years
back; perhaps some contest mentoring from clubs would help. I had to repat
serial numbers on SSB to stations who were quite loud here. Then, on the low
bands, about 80% of the time, I was asked for number repeats, probably in large
part due to my weak signal and less than good conditions. So, I started
repeating my number on first sending round. From 22-24Z, EU stations had a
flutter and all night northern EU was mostly unreadable. But, it worked well
sweeping the bands (40 and 80, both modes, 160 tried without success) for Dutch
CQ'ers, then taking a break with always finding new stations to work on my
return. I was so tired by 0351Z with a headache starting, that I called it a
night about an hour before the early Dutch risers would have come back on the
air, and that was the end of the test for me. I had some good rates on 10
phone. On 15, some good rates for short stretches.
Ir is always amazing that the contest is supported so well by Dutch hams; many
thanks for all of the QSO's! Congrats to KC1XX for probably over 700 QSO's! It
would be nice to make QSO's outside of EU to count for more points to encourage
more participation from NA, SA and AS. The contest robot worked flawlessly which
would be a good idea for ARRL to embrace.