[3830] RTTY WPX W4PK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4pk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX W4PK SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 21:00:00 +0000
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 27:42
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  190
   40:  369
   20:  442
   15:  703
   10:  367
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a fun contest!  Conditions were really great, 10 was open to Europe in
the mornings and 15 was open to Asia in the afternoons.  I had a good run of
JA's with all their WPX multipliers on Sunday afternoon.  This year 15 was my
most productive band.

My score this year was about 15% lower than last year, but I did not stay up
late either night and got a good night's sleep both nights.  I guess if I had
operated for a couple of more hours I would have gotten nearer to last year's
score, but I was not up to doing it.  I really like the 30-hour limit of this
contest!

I had 71 dupes this year which was pretty normal.  However, a couple of
stations duped me multiple times!

Also I had quite a few QRP stations call me with decent signals.  There might
have been others but they were too weak for me to copy.

I use N1MM and I love it.  I use it in a SO2R configuration with an IC7800 as
one radio and a K3 as the other.  However, occasionally it would send the
serial number of the last contact I had on the other radio rather than the one
associated with the radio I was using.  But it would go ahead and log the
correct serial number!  Also a few times I caught it sending the other radio's
last serial number rather than the right number when I was asked to repeat it.
I do apologize to those of you who had received an incorrect serial number from
me as you will have your score (as well as mine)penalized.

Otherwise N1MM (version 13.12.2) ran flawlessly.

I was running the K3 with the new firmware that significantly reduces the
occupied transmit spectrum.  Obviously I don't have that choice with the IC7800
which has a classic SinX/X spectrum (as do most other radios).  When I was
running with the K3, I had people crowd me on both sides with clicks and
adjacent-channel noise as I would have expected.  However, I consistently
experienced the same thing with the 7800 which I did not expect!

I wish that the 7800 would at least provide an external audio input when in the
FSK mode so that I could modulate it with filtered signals such as from MMTTY,
but it does not.  It does allow for external audio input when in the PSK mode,
but I lose the excellent IF pass-band characteristics for receiving FSK signals
when I do that.

73, Sam W4PK