[3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX KK9A SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 19:20:51 +0000
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: KK9A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  203
   40:  617
   20:  389
   15:  677
   10:  315
------------

Club:

Comments:

I had been a year since I operated RTTY and I spent the week leading up to the
contest setting up my two RTTY stations. I had reformatted the hard drive on
one of the computers so it needed a total software reinstall and setup. I am
not a RTTY guru and I hoped that I got everything set correctly.  AA5AU’s
website provided a very useful setup refresher course. I used MTTY which I was
familiar with, I hope to try 2-tone in the near future. On Thursday night I
discovered that the lower 20m / 40m beam rotator had an intermittent indicator.
Since having a good antenna system on 40m was crucial for making double point
contacts, I came home from work a little early on Friday, climbed the tower and
swapped out the potentiometer. This corrected the problem which was probably the
result of lightning damage. I was a little rusty at the started but soon felt
comfortable with the RTTY keyboard and before long I was running on both
radios. It is fun when working two stations at once but it is sometimes
challenging to get the timing right so neither has to wait too long for a
response. It is not always easy, especially when something is entered
incorrectly or a station is hard to copy, kudos for those that are really
proficient at SO2R RTTY. With the 30 hour time limit and double low band point
system, WPX RTTY is an extremely strategic contest.  This was my second time
operating all band low power and am still unsure of the best way to maximize
points. Conditions were excellent this year and I made a few more QSOs than
last year however the overall score was slightly less. Thanks to everyone for
the QSOs, please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A