[3830] ARRLDX CW VE9AA SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE9AA SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 23:30:10 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 17:27

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 1183    99
-------------------
Total: 1183    99  Total Score = 348,678

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Arrl dx cw 10M HP..... (kinda long)
Random thoughts in no particular order de Mike VE9AA (or "Ode to
Ten")
This was supposed to be a 'serious' single band effort....but quickly turned
into only a fun/semi-serious effort. GOAL=1000 Q's
Alas, Friday night I made only 10 QSO's as it was Valentines Day and we were
watching a movie. (Chocolate may have saved my life)
Lost nearly 2 hours of a EU Run Saturday morning, as got called by work 4
times(remote support), then decided, heck, may as well
 snowblow the driveway now that the precious time is already lost.  No chance
to even come close to a win now.
Where are all the African stations?  ACtivity well above .100 on 10m....nice to
see.
Almost blew a QSO with A65CA....OOPS. I thought it was AB5CA the first time he
called. Thanks for hanging in there.
C4Z - was good to work you Brian. Above the EU callers as usual, hi !
What a super blast to work KH2/N2NL, ears of an elephant to hear me amid the
din. What a beehive. Thanks Dave.  Great fun @ 42wpm.
Put a big ol' smile on my face. :-)  Highlight of contest for me. (big smile)
Why are so many NA stns calling me?
One PA stn has worked me 4 times already in as many hours.  I think his pencil
lead broke and his paper log surely flew out the window!
Had a good afternoon with some decent rates and overall numbers, what with
missing a chunk of time....sigh. Don't think about that Mike I tell myself.

Nice supper with family.  Spent some time watching TV.

WHOA! Just wandered in the shack around 9pm to shut everything off when I
noticed the S-meter moving.
JA's and UA0's over the pole via Aurora Es or F.  The multipath was not unlike
working 6m AU to W1.  Wild.  Some of the bigger
stations were nearly S-9.  100 CQ's produced not a single QSO, but worked a
couple dozen up and down 10m.. Neat :-D
The wx man calling for another 45cm of snow tonight and tmw. Eghads. Not again.
 Third time in a week with ice and snow, wind and rain.
China, in the log. Yessss ! Dark like coal outside.  Good times.
Day 1 ends with 780 Q's in the log. Be lucky to hit 1000 tmw.
-----------
Sunday morning. Two cups of coffee in me.  The WX outside is bleak. Snow, snow
and more snow.  Lots of wind. Some freezing rain.
Southerners think this is a rarity, but we deal with it constantly every
winter, all winter long. It is our life.
 Maybe I should build a snowman as a second op to help me tune for mults ?
  Antenna drooping and bobbing around like a drunken sailor down on the
Southern Oceans roaring 40's.
No EU's on 10m yet, but I continue to tune tune tune, sipping warm coffee in a
(ceramic?) Tim Hortons mug.
I hear a couple of the East Coast big (machine) guns  CQing with not much luck.
Sun will be up on 20 mins, but 10m is stubborn sleepyhead lately.  Late riser.
CQing from 7am to 7:30am local and not a single reply. UGH.  THis is gonna be a
long day.  K1LZ steals my QRG.  Tell me you didn't hear me.

 A bit of snow static is killing the weaker callers.
Just scanned the band from 28.0 thru 28.100 and I have already worked every
single CQer.  Gonna be a long day.  I hear a weak groan from
my rate meter which has slipped into stasis. My F1 key is now wore out.  Rates
are into the single digits.  My family advises I would be better
off going out to snowblow the driveway AGAIN, as we got 35cm overnight (a
foot), and I see drifts nearly 3 feet (~a meter) in spots.
SOmething to look forward to post-contest. ...or later when EU goes bye-bye.
 Now folks are using my frequency to tune their amps on.  Not just 1 tuner
either. Oh no; there's two battling it out 50Hz apart!
  Can it get much worse?  I ask you. :-o
The driveway will have to wait.  It's still snowing.
Ok, someone unkinked the hose for a moment or two around 13z. I must have been
spotted. Rate meter gasped, went into cardiac arrest and actually turned
actually turned green for a few minutes.  SOme kind soul must have spotted me.
THANKS to whoever blessed me with that good fortune.
Folks must not tune their VFO's anymore , eh? Only get callers after someone
apparently spots me, or so it sure seems.
Condx fb mid morning. Working lots of 5 watt guys. ( even a few with less
watts!) however keyclicks abound and wipe them out for the most part.
No cluster for single band guys, but you know what - I am less stressed NOT
watching the spots flow by.  'Course, I am sure my mult total will be sadly
lacking.  Can't have it all, eh
Oh oh....here comes a string of dupes. I am sure I am the victim of a bad
cluster spot, even though I am one of those guys that signs after EVERY Q. Oh
well.  Good with the bad,hi
Swore I just heard someone send "5000"...I believe it. They were
W-I-D-E !
Just passed 1000 Q's...that was a loooong morning for 220 Q's.  Part of the
game.
9L1A called in. How cool is that? Made my morning.  I seriously thought it was
9A1A duping me, hi ....
Another string of dupes.  Nobody uses headphones anymore. Just screen shots.
:-(
Even more dupes.  HA! Now here's a switch.  A DL called me (with his full call)
and when I went back, he said "SRI, B4 B4"
so I said "no no no " and we made a QSO.  I wonder if he worked a bad
spot previously and now the bad spot was repeated and he thought
he was also working that same busted callsign?  Will be interesting to review
post-test and see if I can suss it out.
I should probably be out looking for mults. My count is too low.
The yard outside my window looks like a big cereal bowl of Fruit loops or rocky
road ice cream with massive whiteness everywhere, but tops of different coloured
objects poking out here and ther
like cars, garbage cans, sheds, etc.  A lot of snow !
I had my hand on the VFO to go S&P after a few futile CQ's when HZ1PS
called me. Hows that for timing?  Thanks man !
Someone pse tell me when a weeeeak stn's (power) number gets lost and I reply
"NR?" They send full calls, signals report and then the number ?
(which of
course is QRMd or QSB-d out again.
Have I mentioned that I really should be looking for mults....?
Where is P3N or D4A?
Sunset in EU....things are screeching to a halt. This is TEN METERS afterall.
The VE9ST Canadian record from 2001 is taunting me but there is no way my arms
are long enough to reach it.  It is out of my grasp once again.
Maybe in 2022 I'll take another crack at it.
Hearing lots from VY2ZM, VA2WA, K2SSS ,N4OX, WO4O, W4SVO, W1UE, K1LZ and
others.  No way to come close with my 600w and weeny yagi. (especially taking
so
much time off)
Callers have stopped and looks like the snow has too, so out to do a couple
hours of snowblowing.  Back for the Pacific and Far East later !
2 hours of snowblowing and a hot shower and I am back. REsponsibilites suck
sometimes !
A few SA stns is all.  Comb the band 3 times.  HAve already worked 90% of them.
 A couple of KH6's & ZL's already in the log. The band holds nothing
new.
W's calling me.....way too much. >:-(
ARRL DX CW - 2014-02-15 0000Z to 2014-02-17 0000Z - 1216 QSOs
VE9AA Max Rates:

2014-02-15 1149Z - 4.0 per minute  (1 minute(s)), 240 per hour by VE9AA
2014-02-15 1530Z - 2.8 per minute  (10 minute(s)), 168 per hour by VE9AA
2014-02-15 1246Z - 2.3 per minute  (60 minute(s)), 138 per hour by VE9AA

73 de Mike VE9AA, IC7410 ~600w, weeny 5el @ 24', N1MM