[3830] ARRLDX CW K2DM SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@att.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K2DM SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 02:00:29 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K2DM
Operator(s): K2DM
Station: K2DM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:    7     7
   80:   23    20
   40:  113    56
   20:  135    57
   15:  167    54
   10:  125    55
-------------------
Total:  570   249  Total Score = 425,790

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

My first semi-serious effort from our deed-restricted retirement home in The
Villages, Florida.  Antennas were the driven element from a Mosley TA-33 (in
the attic), a 40M dipole (in the attic, with one element bent around a bit) and
a wire about 50 feet long behind the house fed with a remote antenna tuner (used
on 80M and 160M).  The TA-33 has a distinguished past, having been used from J7,
V4 and VP2M.
I was amazed at how much success I had.  I worked over 90% of the stations I
called, even though I had no reasonable shot at getting through.  Stations in
WL7, JA, KH6, ZL, NH2, CE and CX were worked fairly easily.  Throughout the
weekend there were a number of very weak stations who heard my call the first
or second time.  It was as though the competition and the QRM melted away at
just the right time.
Then there were the stations for whom I had to wait my turn - a turn which
sometimes failed to arrive before a packet swarm arrived.  It was like getting
stuck outside the draft at a NASCAR race.
I could have put in more hours and made more contacts, but I had very little
success CQing, and S&P gets old after a while.  I had set a goal of 500 Qs,
and I attained it fairly easily working a couple of hours each evening, a couple
each early morning, and a few more during each day.
I heard my brothers (Jeff, VY2ZM and Peter, K3ZM) on during the weekend, so
this turned out to be a great opportunity for operators to earn the coveted
WABB Award (Worked All Briggs Brothers).
A serious Thank You to ALL those ops who stuck with me to get my call and QTH
right.  I hope to work you all soon from VP2MDG.
73,
George K2DM