[3830] ARRLDX CW K0TT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tt@frontiernet.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K0TT SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 03:46:02 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K0TT
Operator(s): K0TT
Station: K0TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:    7     6
   80:   59    37
   40:  153    55
   20:  366    71
   15:  574    81
   10:  508    81
-------------------
Total: 1667   331  Total Score = 1,644,331

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Good condx the first 24 hours. Things got interesting around 0000 UTC on Feb 16
when the recent CMEs started to affect the ionosphere. I was on 10m at the
time, when US backscatter signals suddenly changed to a rough aurora type
sound. Asia was still coming thru, but signals were unstable. I was still able
to work QRP stations in Japan during this time. 20m and above seemed to be back
to normal by around 1200 UTC.

The disturbance apparently enhanced 20m propagation over the pole after
midnight local time. I was about to stop for the evening around 06 UTC because
40m and 80m were poor, when 20m opened up with strong signals over the pole.
Worked 70/hr for the next 2 hours into EU and Asia. The propagation was often
one way with many barely readable stations calling me. Note that I am only
using a dipole at 75' on 20m!

Heard many MN stations during the weekend. I missed the MWA group VP5S on 160m,
but I didn't spend much time on that band. I am basically deaf on 160m and 80m
with the ongoing power line interference issue. The power company recently
asked their retired noise troubleshooter to help with the problem. He confirmed
the RF noise is coming from the pole I identified and described it as
"terrible." Unfortunately, they have not yet resolved the problem.