[3830] ARRLDX CW V31TP M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rb@austin.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW V31TP M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 04:14:41 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: V31TP
Operator(s): WC0W K5PI AG9A WC0T
Station: V31TP

Class: M/S LP
QTH: San Ignacio, Belize
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  132    44
   80:  482    57
   40: 1050    58
   20:  774    59
   15: 1120    59
   10: 1460    59
-------------------
Total: 5018   336  Total Score = 5,045,040

Club:

Comments:

We had a fine time once again in San Ignacio, Belize.  Our operation is Field
Day style with a tribander and wires on a nice hill.  We tried some antenna
experiments this year, but none of them panned out so we went with essentially
last year's setup:  A3S, 40/80 inverted vee (with a 40M reflector) and an HF2V
converted into a 160 inverted L.  We again put up a very short beverage but
found the transmit antennas were consistently better.

John's (WC0W) wife Leigh (WC0T) always serves as our spritual advisor.  Her
past experience as a preschool owner/director serves to help the team focus and
remain civil.  But this year, we also pressed her into service on the paddles
where she made a fine batch of Qs.  Way to go Leigh!

Conditions definitely seemed off from last year.  The low bands were reasonably
quiet but 160 never seemed to break open.  There were slow times on the high
bands while they were open to Europe, but they were great when we had our time
in the sun in the afternoons.

Mark (AG9A) was back for his second year and a big help getting the antennas
optimized, following the propagation, and shoveling lots of Qs.

I (K5PI) reprised my role as K3 and N1MM consultant and cranked through plenty
of Qs.

John (WC0W) serves as ringmaster, Belizian cultural attache/culinary consultant
("Rice and beans all around!"), and the iron man on the low bands.

While we didn't manage to top our last year's score, we're very happy with our
results.  We didn't get as muddy as the adventure racers in our hotel, but we
definitely got a workout!  See you next year!