[3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 06:26:56 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 19.5

  160:    0     0
   80:    5     3
   40:   32    17
   20:   95    50
   15:  177    64
   10:  184    69
-------------------
Total:  493   203  Total Score = 300,237

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Radio:

Elecraft K-2 (5 Watts)

Antennas:

10-15-20, 3 el SteppIR up 32 feet (10 Meters)
40-80, HF-2V Butternut Vertical with 3 radials

Conditions were outstanding.

Coming after the CQ WPX RTTY and two weeks before the ARRL DX Phone, I decided
to put in only about 20 hours and carefully choose the hours I would operate.
So I picked those times that always provide the best DX here at the highest
rate. That is the first couple of hours of the contest when the bands are open
to Asia and Oceania and that same time the second evening. Then the first few
hours after sunrise on both days when 15 and 10 are open to Europe. Also the
last couple hours of the contest.

Using this strategy, I wound up with 19.5 hours of operating time. Amazingly,
it seems that I scored about as well as I would with a full effort.

The most interesting Qs I got in this contest were getting Worked all
Continents (WAC)on 40 Meters in 9 minutes.  The Qs were CR2X, CE1/K7CA, KH6LC,
RT0C, CR3L, and KL2R. My previous best time for WAC was 13 minutes some 20
years ago on 15 M SSB.

The conditions on 40 were amazing. I usually am lucky to work one European on
40 in a contest, and often work none. But I was able to work 7 including CR2,
I, 3 EAs, F, and OM.

On the second evening, 20 opened over the North pole and I was able to add a
number of Europeans to the log including three UNs and other eastern European
countries that I usually can't get on 20 Meters.

10 Meters was open to Europe from shortly after sunrise for about three hours
and 15 Meters was open for about four hours.

I worked 83 DXCC countries and 27 Zones which is about average. I did not CQ in
this contest because I was able to achieve good rates with S & P.  Since I
only operated 19.5 hours there were always stations around that I had not
worked! 47% of my Qs were in Europe, a very high percent for me, and a good
measure of how good condx were.

Once again, thanks to the many ops who listened extra hard for my QRP signal.
The vast majority of Qs go off quickly without a hitch. But there are times
where there can be a real struggle to complete the Q.  Thanks to those ops who
really stick in there!

73, and C U in the ARRL Phone!    ....Bill   W8QZA - W6QU