[3830] ARRLDX CW N4YDU SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N4YDU SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 14:00:14 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4YDU
Operator(s): N4YDU
Station: N4YDU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 38.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   21    18
   80:  159    51
   40:  525    74
   20:  819    85
   15:  808    87
   10:  574    82
-------------------
Total: 2906   397  Total Score = 3,462,237

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

After many years of doing this with 100 watts, I ventured into the high power
category this time around. It made for a very enjoyable event.

Conditions were fantastic with the only low point coming for a few hours
shortly after the halfway point when the low bands were a wreck. The nighttime
high-band conditions provided plenty of excitement. It was a pleasant surprise
to get such great conditions to Asia. 10 meters was fantastic to Asia shortly
after sunset.

I was just about to go to bed the second night and decided to take a spin
through 20 meters. That was about 2 in the morning local time. The JA run that
transpired was one like I had never experienced. It felt like a high band
European run. I finally went to bed at 4 in the morning and did not return
until an hour after sunrise. I tried to get up, but as I stood up I realized I
was just too darn tired.

10,15 and 20 were super while 40 was OK. 80 was fine the first night but a bust
the second night. 160 was poor.

What an exciting event �" I think I'll stick to high power in the future
as well.

73,

Nate/N4YDU

Station:
Radio A: Kenwood 850, SB200
Radio B: Kenwood 850, Ameritron AL 811

Antennas:
10 meters: 2 element wire delta loop at 50 feet fixed NE

15 meters: 4 element Cushcraft yagi at 30 feet fixed NE, 2 element delta loop
fixed NW

20 meters: 3 element Hygain yagi at 30 feet fixed NE, Comtek 4 square,
rectangular loop at 65 feet

Three band dipole for 10/15/20 at 55 feet NW/SE

Hygain TH2 fixed SW at 25 feet

40 meters: Comtek 4 Square

80 meters: 1/4 wave vertical

160M: Inverted L

K9AY RX antenna with Hilltop Phasing Box

Wintest Software