[3830] ARRLDX CW K2PO M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@conwellpdx.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K2PO M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 14:54:51 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K2PO
Operator(s): WS7L KI7Y K2PO
Station: K2PO

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   17    10
   80:  111    34
   40:  361    84
   20:  791    94
   15:  589   101
   10:  314    94
-------------------
Total: 2183   417  Total Score = 2,727,180

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Thank you 10 meters!

Last year we managed only 43 countries on 10m.  This year we logged 94.  The
European opening on Saturday morning made all the difference.

Another bit of excitement was the 3 hour Saturday night 20m polar opening - 200
contacts went into the log during what are often our slowest hours.

Together, those openings made Europe our top continent, at 45% of our QSOs, vs.
32% last year.  (Asia was 37% this year, vs. 46% last year.)

Carl, WS7L, was a repeat from last year's crew, and operated multiple shifts
�" including in the middle of the night both Friday and Saturday.  Jim,
KI7Y, handled the tedious Sunday duty of combing the bands to find the weak
stations that the skimmers missed.

We envied N7OU and NE7D of our Willamette Valley DX Club, who escaped Oregon's
stormy winter for a summery DXpedition in Vanuatu.  We worked YJ0OU on five
bands.

Speaking of our stormy winter (e.g., winds of 55 mph were clocked on the tower
both Saturday and Sunday), the power went out for several hours early Sunday
morning.  We were able to power the rig and computer with a small Honda
generator, but op Carl missed niceties like heat and water for a while.

6-band QSOs with 6Y2T, HK1NA, JA0QNJ, JA1RPK, JA9APS, JF1NHD, JF2QNM, JH4UYB,
KH6LC, KH7XX, P40L, PJ2T, RT0C, RT0F, and TI5W.

Thanks to all,

Bill, K2PO
Portland, Oregon