[3830] ARRLDX CW N9NC SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9nc@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N9NC SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 15:38:22 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N9NC
Operator(s): N9NC
Station: N9NC

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 1657   108
-------------------
Total: 1657   108  Total Score = 532,980

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Wind storms in late November and December took down my high dipole and wire Vee
beam.
So I went with 10m single band this time.
Used the 5 element homebrew OWA yagi at 25 feet up on a water pipe mast (with
working rotor).

Single op unassisted, single band, single antenna, single radio, what could
possibly go right?

Conditions were excellent Saturday morning, had 2 back to back 200 hours at
sunrise band opening, with 150/hour avg for the first 6 hours.
Probably my mult total suffered from not tuning at all until 18z, but the freq
was too good to leave.
Never experienced that from here before.  Maybe NH is more rare than I had
realized.

Sunday definitely felt the impact of Saturday evening’s light CME.
Although the band was open to Eastern EU & Asia as deep as UA9/UA4/VU, sigs
seemed to be 20-30 dB down from Saturday, although selectively.
Interestingly, Sat eve during the event, JA seemed to have a 2nd peak
relatively late, 0030z-0100z.
Rates Sunday afternoon may only be described as painful. 9/hour, then 5/hour at
22z, nary a Q to be found.  Then in the last 30 min, skew path (~290) to JA
provided an enjoyable final run.

All in all a blast, let's hope the Cycle 24 double peak continues!

73,
Tom  N9NC