[3830] ARRLDX CW ZF35A(K6AM) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW ZF35A(K6AM) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 17:24:49 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: ZF35A
Operator(s): K6AM
Station: ZF1A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Cayman Is.
Operating Time (hrs): 44.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:  322    57
   80:  569    59
   40: 1127    59
   20:  903    58
   15: 1226    58
   10: 1125    58
-------------------
Total: 5272   349  Total Score = 5,518,737

Club: Cayman Amateur Radio Society

Comments:

Yea, I know, I said last year was it forever as a single op.  Two days with 3
hours of sleep - NEVER again!

I had big plans for a major M/S effort this year, but as it turned out none of
my regular M/S crew guys from CQWW was available so it was either single band
(not as much fun) or SOAB again (painful).  So I went with painful.

Conditions were excellent!  10 stayed open to the entire country til after
dark.  Even the hard to get close-in southern states were easy to snag.  Sigs
on 160 and 80 were loud both nights with very low loise levels on all bands.

SO....

What happened to all the activity?  Rates were way down especially Friday
night.  Friday night....  Wait wasn't there some sort of conflict that night?

Oh yea, it was Valentines day!  OK guys, you're excused for banking some
brownie points with the YL instead of working DX.  We'll take a rain check til
next year.  But that still doesn't explain Saturday and Sunday.

Now about that call sign.  All the hams here in ZF are celebrating 35 years of
active operation by using the ZF35 prefix.  I thought it would be fitting and
respectful to do the same seeing as I was at the big flagship club station.
Hey, maybe there are still a few guys who need a never before used prefix.

Great idea.....except in a high speed CW contest.  Seemed like everybody
insisted on the call being ZF3HA.  There were plenty of busted spots to prove
it.  So I ended up wasting a lot of your and my time woking 500 dupes!!!!  May
end up costing the contest, not to mention all the lost mults for anyone who
didn't catch the busted call.

Anyway, thanks to all you rare mults who QSYed.  Only nissed VE4 and SD on 160
after several tries and never cought back up with VO1SA on the high bands.

And as always thanks to Andrew and the gang at the CARS for the hospitality.

See you next weekend as ZF2AM in the 160 SSB and than at PJ2T with G4XUM in a
(thank God) multi-single in the ARRL SSB.

QSL ZF35A to K6AM direct, the W6 QSL buro or LOTW

73, John  K6AM/ZF2AM