[3830] ARRLDX CW K4IKM SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ikm@ptd.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K4IKM SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 00:04:17 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K4IKM
Operator(s): K4IKM
Station: K4IKM

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:   17    15
   80:   45    31
   40:  292    76
   20:  644    84
   15:  409    78
   10:  487    78
-------------------
Total: 1894   362  Total Score = 2,056,894

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

When I went to bed on Saturday night, I was on my way to a personal best for
ARRL DX CW and I hoped to break 4M points - but it was not to be. I believe
that propagation was down a bit but my real problem was a dead furnace and snow
removal - these cost me most of the day Sunday. We woke up Sunday am to find our
house was at 51 deg F and dropping. I called the service company but then had to
clear 8" snowfall with 24" drifts on our driveway so the tech could
get in to repair the furnace.

I had a really fun time on 20M from 0252Z to 0339Z when I ran 39 Russians, one
after another, on a dead band. There was absolutely no QRN or QRM whatsoever,
the band was quite dead. These signals were the merest whispers with lots of
flutter, I'd say they were Q5 S0 T9! In 55 years of hamming, I don't think I've
ever worked such weak signals! For me, this was amazing and was the highlight of
this contest.

I'm working on SO2V and making headway with that. Didn't use it much during
this contest but I plan to use in two weeks on the SSB event.

Even with the low operating time, I was happy with my score. This was a great
event.

I want to thank all the DX who gave me their QSOs. Without them, my score would
be ZERO.

Steve...K4IKM...73!....