[3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 03:17:21 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1446   114
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1446   114  Total Score = 494,532

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A M2 team was not able to be put together so thought I would try a single band
15 meter entry. That turned out to be a good choice. Initially, my goal was to
make a major effort but a few things got in the way on both Saturday and
Sunday. For example, the USA vs Russia hockey game, the Duke vs Maryland
basketball game, the State vs Syracuse basketball game and then on Sunday the
snow finally melted enough for me to continue working on my 80 meter phased
verticals so outside I went. Finally, Saturday evening I shut down about 0000
UTC and probably missed some Asia mults, for sure some Qs. As you can see, the
full time effort was not there. N1MM reported 19 hours and I am surprised that
I got that much time in.

The part time effort was easier and more fun as the band was always open when I
got back in the chair. Friday night I was only on for about 1 hour to see if the
band was going to be open into Asia. One word, YES. When I got back on at about
1200 UTC Saturday morning it sounded like all of Europe was waiting for me to
show up.  The first CQ yielded zero responses. The second CQ resulted in one of
the largest pileups that I have experienced. Skimmer was working in Europe. My
rate did not reflect the quantity of callers nor how long the pileup lasted
because many were on my calling frequency. I finally tightened the K3 down  to
200hz and moved my RX frequency by about 40 hz which really helped. Sunday
morning started earlier, around 1100 UTC, but that was too early from this QTH.
The band opened around 1145.  Both Saturday and Sunday afternoon around 2100 UTC
I turned the stack fom EU to JA. The excellent conditions brought in some nice
Asia mults to add to the total. The multipliers kept coming right up to the end
with the last two being BU2AV and 9M6XRO. When the clock hit 2359 UTC on Sunday
I had almost as many JA Qs as DL, with the respective totals 142 and 176. Not
quite like the JA QSO counts when I lived in Texas, but the best so far from
NC.

This was definitely a IF ONLY or WHAT IF weekend.  What kind of totals would I
have if I operated for the entire time the band was open? Guess that will wait
for next time.

Thanks for all the Qs. Thanks to the many QRP stations that hung in there until
I got all the info correct. Sorry to the callers that I could just not pull out.
Thanks to the outstanding conditions, there were not many.

Station:
K3
Acom 2000A
5 x 5 x 5