[3830] ARRLDX CW N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, edsawyer@sbelectronics.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:24:50 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   41    32
   80:  287    58
   40:  754    80
   20:  825    78
   15:  904    86
   10:  838    93
-------------------
Total: 3649   427  Total Score = 4,674,369

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, those were the best conditions since 2002 for sure.  And I was almost
not able to be there for it as I was flirting with getting stuck somewhere
in the thousands of cancelled flights as I was making my way back from the
West Coast.  With some route shifting, I was able to make it in just in
front of 20 inches of snow.  Other tan that, everything worked great at the
QTH which is not always the case for this contest which is after 3 solid
months of winter.

I ran for 40 hours out of my 44 hour operating time.  Probably half that time
was dedicated run and half SO2R.  Best hour was 165 - a new personal CW
record for me.  Best 10 minutes of 300 is probably also as high as I remember.
Just fabulous stuff for Low Power - heck even High Power.

Highlights were many.
Opening hour of 110 on 40M was a personal best opening hour for any CW
contest for me.
The 20M 04 - 08Z Asia and Northern EU openings were the best I have seen
in a contest from W1.
10M open big, both days in this contest FINALLY!  Sure Sunday wasn't as
good but last year Sunday wasn't as good and Saturday was zippo.
40M open straight through until 08 - 09Z to EU where usually there is
an MUF dip that kills it for a few hours each evening.
Calls from VU, 4K, XW, HZ, 9L just to name some off the top of my head.
Great JA and Asia Russian runs on 15.  Probably could have been on 10M
as well but I chose 15 for louder signals and deeper opening.
And enough mults on 160 and 80 to allow the big score.

It was clear from the outset the record could be broken.  And as I crossed
the halfway mark with 2.25 Million points, I was determined to do so.
I passed the record score Qs number of 3423 at 1930Z and exceeded my
personal best score of 4.25 Million points (gross) at 2025Z.  I passed the
record gross score of 4.35 Million at 2055Z and the rest was to put
distance on that score.  The final total of 4.674 Million exceeded my
expectations.  For 10 years I looked at that record and thought "how am I
ever going to match that score?".  When it all comes together, nothing
breaks,
you don't get sick or stuck travelling, and there are no family or work
emergancys and the SFI is over 150...it does!

The W3/W4 boys had great openings..this isn't done yet until all of the
"usual suspects" check in.

I love this game.  Thanks for the Qs.

73

Ed  N1UR