[3830] ARRLDX CW 3V8BB(KF5EYY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ash.kf5eyy@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 3V8BB(KF5EYY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 02:25:57 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 3V8BB
Operator(s): KF5EYY
Station: 3V8BB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Tunis
Operating Time (hrs): 27h23

  160:    7     5
   80:   55    21
   40:  773    58
   20:  752    57
   15:  579    56
   10:  754    58
-------------------
Total: 2920   255  Total Score = 2,233,000

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Score and QSO number this year were well below expectations. First night was
promising but less activity was experienced in the second night. 80 and 160
were extremely noisy and untouchable! 20m never closed the first 24 hours and
high bands were live!
From 8 to 12 is a dead period here towards W/VE. On Saturday and while I was
making some experiments, the SO2R device started to behave very strangely
(continuous tune instead of CW signal,...). It took me some time to figure out
the problem and realize that; if it did work HP without filters, that
shouldn’t be valid in all frequencies. So I switched off the device and
continued to use a single radio.
FT870 is definitely not the best radio for CW and I should consider better
setup. A lot of dupes and non-contest “long” QSOs slowed down the rates.
Another “confirmed” learnt lesson; not getting very excited before the
contest is the KEY for you to be able to take few hours rest before it starts.

Audio recording of the contest is available with searchable database - see my
website below.

73 and see you in the next one "insh'allah"

Ash 3V8BB/KF5EYY
www.kf5eyy.info