[3830] ARRLDX CW VP5S M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, drscott.wright@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP5S M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:47:02 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP5S
Operator(s): K0MD K4IU AC0W K0PC
Station: VP5S

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Providenciales, TCI
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  230    50
   80:  576    55
   40:  905    59
   20: 1192    58
   15: 1291    58
   10: 1184    57
-------------------
Total: 5378   337  Total Score = 5,435,136

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

The VP5S team was an effort by members of the Minnesota Wireless Association who
traveled to Jody's place in the Turks & Caicos Islands for the contest.

Team leader Scott, K0MD, was joined by members from last year Fred, K4IU and
Bill, AC0W along with first timer Pat, K0PC.

Station: Icom 7600 + Acom 1010
Antennas: Force 12 XR-5 for 10-20, Force 12 240 Delta for 40 meters and dipoles
for 80 and 160.

The contest is always enjoyable to do from TCI. Conditions were great
world-wide from the Caribbean as they were from the USA. Prior to the contest,
we worked a lot of Asian stations who were very loud into the Caribbean.

I felt that QSO rates were down compared with last year especially during the
daytime. It seemed that NA was looking to Europe and Asia for QSO's given the
spectacular propagation that has been reported.

Pile-ups were intense at times though, especially in the late afternoons and
evenings when all of NA was looking to the Caribbean.

The Low bands were good but not as good as last year. The upper midwest had
more strong signals into VP5 this year than last. We had atmospheric noise on
Saturday morning as there were likely storms in the region. As always, the Icom
7600 is a tremendous Low Band receiver and it allowed us to get 105 multipliers
on 160 and 80.

Appreciation is due to the following:

1. Our families and wives who remained home in the blistery weather while we
traveled to veritable paradise.
2. All of the stations from DC, DE and KY who were active this year making
those multipliers easier to get. We still missed DC on 10 meters so if I work
you in DC next year on Friday, I am asking you to move to 10 regardless!
3. VY2ZM who stopped by on Sunday to ask me if we needed PEI on any other bands
as he was willing to QSY for us. There were several PEI stations this year and
we appreciate the efforts that hams made in PEI to be active.
4. Jody, VP5JM, who allows us to come and use her premiere station even though
she has stopped renting to hams. We really enjoy contesting from TCI and seeing
her and Lizzy her dog.
5. All of the MWA members who worked us on 5 and 6 bands. It is always nice to
hear fellow club members on the air.

Minor issues:
1. We had a computer keyboard that was sticking frequently and cost us at least
100 QSO's we believe. We will rectify this for 2015.
2. Our old Dell XP logging computer was getting slow near the end, perhaps it
is at EOL and we need a new Windows 7/8 machine to contest with.  I sure wish
N1MM would make software for the Mac!
3. EU and JA stations were calling us during the contest which at times
interfered with our ability to copy NA stations. We are not sure how to rectify
this issue.

All of our QSO's were uploaded to LOTW on Sunday night after the contest. If
your QSO is not in LOTW, please contact me via email.

Thanks for a great contest and the memories of working NA from paradise. We
hope to return in 2015 to do it all over again.