[3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, radekl@att.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 08:02:36 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 45.68
Radios: SO2R

  160:   29    25
   80:   97    52
   40:  643    76
   20:  878    83
   15: 1047    85
   10:  881    92
-------------------
Total: 3575   413  Total Score = 4,395,972

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

With higher flux numbers than last year, I was very much looking forward to this
contest - especially the longer 10M openings and nighttime propagation on 20
(which usually doesn't occur in CQWW due to seasonally lower nighttime MUF's).
The predicted solar storm threw a wet blanket on these hopes, and I didn't know
what to expect.

I stayed on 40 most of the first night. 80 & 160 weren't very productive
(either night). The 40M JA's were good, but usually their rates build as
sunrise approaches. They dropped, but I was able to start running EU's on 20
over 90 minutes before local sunrise. Very nice.

The morning runs were steady, but difficult due to the "zero beat
problem" with the EU packet mob. This happens on all bands. With part of a
callsign copied, way too many call out of turn when digging out the complete
call. Still, rates were good all morning and I was still running on 10 at
1845z, then 15 until 2030z. Very nice.

So on the 2nd night 20 started to open over the pole. Sigs were weak and watery
at first, so I went to 80/160 to dig out a few mults. On return, 20 was wide
open. Even the QRP guys were loud. Most of the rest of the night was spent on
20, with mult sweeps on other bands and a 30 minute 40M run. I finally took my
first break at 1100z but was back up for the sunrise propagation.

The 10/15 openings on day 2 weren't as lengthy, but the EU runs seemed faster
because the pileups had thinned. Mults are down overall from last year (I'm not
alone), but I made a decision to tune the 2nd radio LESS during the big runs in
order to let the rates unwind. I may have overdone it, but the main thing I
need to do is learn to enjoy pouncing. I've written software to analyze
EVERYBODY'S CQWW logs, and that's what it's telling me regarding needed
strategy adjustments.

Roy -- AD5Q