[3830] ARRLDX CW PJ2T M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW PJ2T M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 00:32:13 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): K2PLF N1ZZ N4GG NP2L WA9S W0NB W9VA W9NJY WI9WI KA9DOC
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Signal Point
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  609    57
   80: 1036    58
   40: 1450    58
   20: 1944    58
   15: 1978    58
   10: 1919    58
-------------------
Total: 8936   347  Total Score = 9,302,376

Club:

Comments:

This contest started off on a sour note when in the week before the contest word
was received that Geoff, W0CG/PJ2DX, and YL Dorothy's home in Idaho had been
broken into and ransacked. Dorothy's car was also stolen. They left a few days
before the contest to assess the damage and take care of the many things
necessary when this sort of event happens. Fortunately, since then at least the
car has been recovered.

There were a few problems with the operation, none of them that I would
consider major. The 40 meter beam has been stuck on Europe for several months
due to a rusted and frozen thrust bearing. While we had a relatively strong
signal into the states off the side of the beam even with this problem we
probably lost several hundred QSOs due to inability to hear weak stations. The
NA beverage was unusable on 40 due to interference from the 160 station. We
lost an amplifier on the 20 meter station an hour into the contest. It was
quickly replaced. We also were limited to 500 watts on 15 meters Sunday due to
arcing in the amp, probably in the bandswitch. As usual there were problems
with the WinKeyers and LogiKeyers. This tends to be more annoying than
debilitating.

As others in the Caribbean have noted we thought the bands were better the
first day, particularly the low bands. The high bands produced a lot of strong
signals the second day but there seemed to be a lack of activity. The late
afternoon rush never seemed to come.

In spite of trying multiple passes we never could connect with VE4 on 160. We
never heard a trace of VO1, VO2, VE8, VY1, or VY0.

As always it was fun. Thanks to everyone for all the QSOs.

For the PJ2T team

Jim
WI9WI