[3830] CQ160 SSB VE3MGY Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3mgy@hotmail.ca
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB VE3MGY Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 17:38:36 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): ~17

Total:  QSOs = 437  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 7  Total Score = 120,419

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Well... Initially I was going to be 100% serious BUT after the SPTBDC and the
CQWW 160 CW portion both having very poor condx I had a pretty good idea what
to expect( being ~28 and ~56 days apart ) so I downgraded from 100% to about
80% serious.

However the Bz just wanted to stay neg all week, or so it seemed, and GMS's
were a morning/evening ritual on the band when I checked condx. I told the XYL
"it couldn't get any worse".

BUT then two CME's hit us during the week and I told the XYL "well it
couldn't get any worse than that"...

THEN Thursday a M class flare produced ANOTHER CME was scheduled to hit on
Saturday(!!) so I told the XYL "well... it just COULDN'T get any worse
than that"... and I went from 80% serious to casual/part-time to
considering giving the contest a pass. ( BTW explaining M Class flares, CME's,
satellite proton events and the Bz to XYL's should be avoided whenever possible
)

So then Thursday night comes along and the T-storms came through with 125,000
strikes per 7200 min or about 40/sec and 30/9 QRN here so I told the XYL...
well you know...

Right then and there it became personal!! I just had to get on!! Like watching
a plane crash you know what's going to happen but you just can't avert your
eyes.

Well I was not to be disappointed at all as Friday night was one of the most
draining, exhausting and frustrating nights I can remember in a very long time.
Saturday was marginally better but I was ( and still am ) suffering from the QRN
induced ringing. I don't know how SSB only ops do it. No I just don't know.

Lastly my hat is definitely off to Gene WB4MSG and the lads who had the
fortitude and skill  to run QRP!! Having rode that horse many times myself I
know what they went through.

TX Ant: 1/4 wave Inv L at 85' w/130 1/4 wave radials
RX Ant: N/S, E/W Beverages, low dipole, 160M inverted V
Rig: K3 with KRX3 in diversity mode

73
Brian
VE3MGY