[3830] ARRLDX SSB N6RV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kendrick.w@ca.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N6RV SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 00:42:39 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N6RV
Operator(s): N6RV
Station: N6RV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1     1
   80:   24    12
   40:   80    28
   20:  211    72
   15:  216    68
   10:  436    83
-------------------
Total:  968   264  Total Score = 766,656

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

It has been a very long time since we had a thunderstorm pass through the area.
It took out 10-20 with rain static and lightning strikes within a mile. I did
leave the tower up and fortunately no harm.

The contest was OK. Fortunately the rates were good before and after the storm.
It did dampen my enthusiasm. The European opening on 20 meters was almost around
the clock. 10 meters was open until late in the evening and 15 even later. 15
did suffer from the glut of activity on 20 & 10. 40 was good however the
phone band is too small. At sunrise on Sunday I tuned the Flex 5000A up the
band and listened to pristine AM broadcast stations that were 60 DB over S-9.
80 meters was also somewhat ignored and I slept 7 hours Saturday night so only
one QSO on 160. I guess it is time to start multi-single ops. I can not stay
awake for 48 hours and even if I do my operating gets really bad after about 12
hours in the seat. Odd but the real rare paths were not there. I did not hear
any ME of IO stations. Even stations on the continent of Africa were sparse.
The Pacific was not too well represented. I missed ZL and VK on several bands!

I have to comment on the Flex. It still hangs up when I tune across the band.
They say it is a chip from a bad lot that is used in the DDS. I just do not
want to pack it up and send it in for replacement. I guess it should work right
the first time! That said I made a ton of contacts with 12 watts and the KX-3. I
do not know if the DX knew I was running almost QRP. Maybe I will get a second
KX-3 and run SO@R QRP. The radio is fabulous and a pleasure to use.

SO2R
Flex 5000A (100 Watts)
Elecraft KX-3 (12 Watts)