[3830] ARRLDX SSB KV4FZ SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KV4FZ SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 00:49:10 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: U.S. Virgin Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 16.5

  160:  406    51
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  406    51  Total Score = 62,118

Club:

Comments:

Started on time but the DVR playback would not work so I spent the first two
hours trouble shooting trying to fine out why the Microham USBII would not pass
the audio codec on TX even though it was tested as working 6 hours before.  I
tried all the settings, rebooted the computer 10 times, check for any port
conflicts, did 6 system restores to dates i knew it worked but still zilch.
Finally I realized I had a Rig Expert Plus sitting on the shelf and it was plug
and play to get it to work.  For many years the Microham II has performed
flawlessly but this time it would not configure with all the previously
recorded settings. Then about at about midnight the city power failed. I have a
7.5 KW standby generator but had not installed the transfer panel so it was time
to get some sleep until the power came back a few hours later.  Conditions were
very brutal and some contacts took several minutes with one character at a
time.  I missed some easy multipliers such as VE6,5, and four plus the Dakotas
of course, but the usual Nebraska contact was also missing.  The net result was
still a better score than last year even though last years conditions were
significantly better with lower noise and stations easier to work.

Rig: Icom IC-7410 to Alpha 87A amplifier
TX Antenna: 75 foot tower top loaded with 30' stinger on top
RX Antennas: 600 foot Beverages N,NW, and West
Software N1MM with Rig Expert Plus interface