[3830] ARRLDX SSB EI2CN M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, turnbull@net1.ie
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB EI2CN M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 01:19:49 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: EI2CN
Operator(s): F8FUA EI2CN
Station: EI2CN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Ireland
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:    0     0
   80:   14     9
   40:   71    25
   20:  752    60
   15:  955    60
   10: 1380    57
-------------------
Total: 3172   211  Total Score = 2,008,509

Club:

Comments:

Dear OMs and YLs
     Never write having consumed Guinness.   The contest is over so of course
one consumes a couple of pints of the Black Stuff.

      Well my good friend Alain,F8FUA beat last years score despite not real
set up for the low bands.    Last year we managed a claimed 1,980,984 but this
year the claimed score is 2,008,509.   The TB antenna is down and all receive
antennas are bandjaxed (what a beautiful word).    So as one can see we were
stinko on low bands.   Still the sun saved our bacon.    Twenty was literally
open all night long though not so great in the day time.   Ten meters was a
Trojan for us with fifteen doing pretty well.     On the last night we rode ten
till it died the final death and then went to fifteen riding it till the
ultimate demise around 22:30 or so UTC.   Then surely we will not find a spot
on twenty but we did and continued to QSO till the closing of the contest.
Fortune was with us.   We should have paid a far higher price for the lack of a
reasonable LF antenna system but the bands did the impossible.   Not a great
score but we are not amongst the elite just yet.   Perhaps Alain is but I am
not as as I age performance slows.   Put all of this aside this was a fun event
and it is so good to share the job with a friend.

Radio Equipment:
K3, P3
Acom 2000A for power of 1500 allowed in EI for contesting only.   Yes I am mad
to have stated the correct power as 1500 and not just KW in my exchanges.
Advice must be taken on this.

SteppIR 4 elements at 80 ft or 24 M.
SteppIR Big Vertical

WinTest
MicroKeyer II

     Thanks to all the great people we worked.   This was fun and now I can go
to the "scratcher" and crash.   LG take a running jump; Life is Good
and it was so before the saying was commercialized.

                    73 Doug EI2CN

PS Special thanks to my long term friend F8FUA.   Alain has too many African
calls to even start to list and these were not short term calls but lasted for
years.    Also I must thank my good XYL, Anne who kept us all afloat.