[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4KG SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4KG SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 06:49:00 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:   25    23
   80:   82    50
   40:  161    68
   20:  278   103
   15:  303    95
   10:  500   111
-------------------
Total: 1349   450  Total Score = 1,821,150

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I can't remember when we had such good conditions for this contest.
Low-Band activity (and propagation) suffered from the super late night openings
on the higher bands.

I'm finally getting a feel for how to balance the Available Multiplier Window
and the Band Map Window in N1MM to optimize my multi-band QSOs.  Multi-Band
contacts were as follows: 6B=14, 5B=31, 4B=31, 3B=90, 2B=92, 1B=533.

Most contacts (80-90%) resulted from Point-and-Click operation, supplemented by
some actual Search-and-Pounce Saturday night and Sunday.  NO contacts from CQs.

I found it necessary to just 'get away from it all' a few times. Heeding K0MD's
advice, I walked the dog on 2 or 3 occasions (and over-slept Saturday morning),
resulting in 30 hours of ON-time vs. 34-36 hours in years past.  After 5+
sunspot cycles of activity, I'm beginning to Feel OLD!

Icom 756 PROiii with Filter BW set to 2000 Hz and passband tuning set to -200Hz
which worked well for how I was operating.
(2400 Hz BW was definitely Too Wide - other locals used 1800 Hz, especially for
running).

I worked MANY SA/JA/Pacific stations on 10,15,20 using a 30M Inverted Vee (fed
w/ladderline and tuner) to minimize rotating my only working Yagi (TH7 at 40
ft).  My 80M sloping dipole to NE works amazingly well to NE,NW,SE on 80 and
40M, supplemented by an Elevated GP on 80 and Corner Fed Delta Loop on 40 to
fill in the SW Null of the sloper.

Tom N4KG in North Alabama