[3830] ARRLDX SSB VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:37:49 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: VP9GE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 40.6

  160:   74    23
   80:  401    53
   40:  866    57
   20: 1711    60
   15: 1154    61
   10: 1078    50
-------------------
Total: 5284   304  Total Score = 4,819,808

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  IC7000  Win-Test 4.11
Ants:  160m inverted L; 80m Dipole at 30 feet; 40m KA Dipole at 30 feet;
20m-10m Cushcraft A4S at 35 feet.

For the first time in my memory I had good propagation on 10m although the
entire east coast was blacked out and I missed a bunch of multipliers as well
as contacts.  The following 12 stations made it into my log on 6 bands: K0KX,
K1RX, K8AZ, KN2M, N4ZC, N8TR, VY2ZM, W0AIH, W3GH, W3LPL, WE3C, and WO9Z.

The band conditions seemed to act like one band lower than at sunspot minimum.
Eighty meters acted like 160m, 40m acted like 80m, etc.  I started out on 20m
and had almost 500 contacts in the log after two hours.  This is usually what I
do on 40m at the beginning of the contest.  As everyone did, I experienced a
high noise level on the low bands.  I know that I have been nominated as the
Contest Alligator on those bands.  My last hour I stayed on 20m which usually
nets 100+ contacts.  Instead I had 33 contacts and couldn't get anything going
even though my frequency was reported clear.  That was a strategic error.  But
I wasn't getting any rate on 15m and 40m was too noisy.

I congratulate young Charlie K1XX at VP2MLL for his victory.  Once again youth
trumps OF status. Propagation may have been a factor as well.

One of my highlights was putting seven call signs in the log from my home club
Bishop (CA) ARC.

This was my 14th consecutive year as VP9/W6PH.  Ed VP9GE is a perfect host.  I
couldn't operate at a better place.

73, Kurt W6PH