[3830] Rus DX M5E(@GB2GM) M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, olof@rowanhouse.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX M5E(@GB2GM) M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 23:30:07 +0000
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: M5E
Operator(s): M0DXR G0CKV
Station: GB2GM

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Poldhu, Cornwall
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   150     2       41        34
   80:   340    26       52        54
   40:   663   240       76        60
   20:   446    71       74        67
   15:   413   204       71        68
   10:   323   145       71        69
Total:  2335   688      385       352  Total Score = 13,670,613

Club:

Comments:

Mark M0DXR and I operated M/2 MIXED CW/SSB from the Marconi site in Cornwall in
the far SW of England as M5E. We will be one of the two British teams at WRTC
so we used the RDXC as an opportunity to get to know each other a bit and to
operate together for the first time. We also wanted to test some hardware
required for WRTC. To that end we brought some automation and an Inrad
triplexer plus filters to use with two K3 radios and an A4S tribander at 40ft
for the HF bands. On 40-80-160 we used dipoles.

I think it is fair to say that we are reasonably happy with the exercise. The
contest was fun, conditions were good and we had no issues with inter-station
interference although the harmonics are of course not entirely eliminated with
the filters and triplexer but this was a marginal limitation. Except for a few
kHz around the harmonics we had no issues at all. The K3 with its low
phase-noise is a great radio for demanding multi-radio environments.

I really like the RDXC format. There are loads of multipliers (DXCC+Russian
regions) and much opportunity for strategy. The contest is very well managed,
they have a super website and they have the best rules in the business. The
rules are demanding: you are penalized if you get the call or exchange wrong
and you lose the QSO if the other guy busts your call or exchange. That's
excellent - you are rewarded for your two-way communication skills, you need to
adjust your speed and style to the ability of the guy at the other end, just the
way it should be. This rule also penalizes those who don't ID and those who let
their computer send too fast CW for their own good and it also takes care of
careless reliance on cluster and RBN spots. Let's hope that the CQWW and WPX
rules will evolve in the same direction.

Good fun, great operators and not many really bad signals.

73 Olof G0CKV