[3830] Commonwealth VO2AC(VE3FU) Restricted-24 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VO2AC(VE3FU) Restricted-24 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 04:33:17 +0000
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest

Call: VO2AC
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VO2AC

Class: Restricted-24 QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

------------
   80:    3
   40:   39
   20:   49
   15:   62
   10:    7
------------
Total:  160  Total Score = 2,140

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Back in Labrador for March Break again this year, but this time from a different
location.  In 2011 I was at the VO2WL station (thanks VO2NS!) in Labrador City
with a tower, TH7, 2-el 40m yagi, 80m sloper, and an amplifier.  This year I
was at my parent's place in Happy Valley - Goose Bay with a 20/40m dipole up
12ft and an FT-817 (5w).

For a while I thought I was going to miss the BERU this year, but Dave
VE3AAQ/VO1AU offered to loan me the mast and FT-817.  (Thanks Dave!)  Dave was
at VO2WL again this year as VO2AAA and put in another great score.  This was
probably the first time there were 3x VO2s on for the BERU (VO2AC, VO2AAA, and
VO2RAC)! :=)

Considering the setup, I was surprised by what I could hear on the high bands -
VKs and ZLs on 20m and 15m and a ZS on 10m, but not surprised that I didn't work
them.  I only worked one station outside of NA or EU - a 5B4 on 15m, and only
one G on 10m.  I QSY'd to other bands every time I was asked, but was only
successful with two of the requests.  I had an S8 line noise on 40m and 80m,
which was probably from the hydro lines running through the back yard, but I
didn't have time to investigate.  Quite surprisingly I was able to get a few
runs going, the longest being 6 QSOs in 6 minutes on 15m :=)

Here's a breakdown of some of my log:

        QSOs    Bonus   HQ      PTS     BCA
        -----------------------------------
80m       3      3      0         75      3
40m      39     18      3        555     10
20m      49     17      2        585      9
15m      62     22      2        750     10
10m       7      7      0        175      6
        -----------------------------------
        160     67      7       2140     38

Zero 5 band QSOs.  Three 4 band QSOs.  Fifteen 3 band QSOs.

HQ Stations: GB5CC, VE7RAC, VO1RAC

Total unique stations worked: 95

G:      73 QSOs with 46 unique stations
VE:     75 QSOs with 44 unique stations
Others: 12 QSOs with  5 unique stations

Still one of my favourite contests!  Thanks for all the QSOs and to all the DX
travelers who make this contest more interesting!

73,

Chris VE3FU / VO2AC